Master of Arts in Chemistry/ Biochemistry
The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry offers programs leading to the degree of Master of Arts with concentration in chemistry or biochemistry. These programs include course and laboratory work designed to prepare the student for employment in the chemical industry, government laboratories or agencies, teaching or continuation of graduate studies (e.g. the Ph.D. degree).
The full time student will usually complete the 30 credit course of study in 2 years.
Since research is part of the program of study for both concentrations, check the departmental web page for the research interests of the faculty.
REQUIREMENTS FOR MATRICULATION:
1. Undergraduate studies should include: 1 full year (2 semesters) of general, organic and physical chemistry and 1/2 year of analytical chemistry (all with laboratory components). Mathematics through integral calculus and 1 year of physics. Students planning to concentrate in biochemistry should have completed at least 1 year of biology (with lab) and 1 semester of biochemistry lecture. Deficiencies may be removed by course work or individual study.
2. Three written letters of recommendation from chemistry/biochemistry professionals (undergraduate instructors/supervisors at place of employment, etc.)
3. An interview with a representative of the Graduate Committee may be required.
4. Graduate Record Examination
5. TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) scores of 500 or better for non-native English speakers.
For further information on general requirements for admission to Master's Degree Programs at Queens College go to the Office of Graduate Studies webpage