Associate Professor, Comparative Literature
Kissena Hall 259
Professor, PhD Program in French
The Graduate Center, CUNY
365 5th Avenue
New York, NY 10016
Literature and Film of North Africa and the Middle East with a focus on Tunisia, Egypt, Algeria, Libya, and Morocco; postcolonial studies; film studies.
- PhD, Harvard University
- MA, Harvard University
- Fulbright Scholar, Tunisia 2012-2013.
- Mellon Fellowship for Mid-Career faculty at the CUNY Graduate Center (2011).
- Board of Directors and Program Officer, American Institute for Maghreb Studies, 2009-present.
- Faculty Fellow (2008-2009) “Great Issues Forum: Power in the Contemporary World” at The Center for the Humanities, CUNY Graduate Center, sponsored jointly by the Chancellor’s Office and the Carnegie Corporation of New York.
- Member of the Faculty of Middle Eastern Studies, CUNY Graduate Center.
- Director of the ‘Centre d’études maghrébines à Tunis’ (CEMAT) (Center for Maghreb Studies), Tunis, Tunisia (October 2001-October 2002).
- “The Political Crowd: Theorizing Popular Revolt in North Africa”, in Contemporary Islam: Dynamics of Muslim Life. Springer, 2011.
- “Abdelkebir Khatibi”, Biographical Encyclopedia of the Modern Middle East. Thomson Gale Publishers, 2007.
- “Women, Gender and Women’s Fiction Writers: North Africa,”
Encyclopedia of Women and Islamic Cultures, Brill Academic Publishers,
- “A Writing in Points: Autobiography and the Poetics of the Tattoo”, The
Journal of North African Studies, Frank Cass Publishers, Volume 8, No. 2,
- “Another Image of Tunisia: A Film Short Trilogy by Moncef Dhouib” in The
Journal of North African Studies, Frank Cass Publishers, volume 7, number 2,
- “Images that Come out at Night: Moncef Dhouib” in CELAAN Journal “Centre
d’Etudes des Littératures et des Arts d’Afrique du Nord” special issue “Cinéma
Maghrébin/Maghrebian Cinema” vol.1, n.1, summer 2002.
- “Affect and Ruin in Assia Djebar’s ”Vaste est la prison” in ALIF journal
of Comparative Poetics, volume 20, “The Hybrid Literary Text: Arab Creative
Authors Writing in Foreign Languages”. Cairo, Egypt. Spring 2000.
- “The Myth of the False: Ramses Younan and post-structuralism avant la
lettre”, in The Arab Studies Journal, “Language and Culture in the Arab
World”, Washington DC, winter 2000.
- “The Suture: Tahar Ben Jelloun’s La Prière de l’absent”, in LittéRéalité
“Diaspora Maghrébine”, University of York, Toronto Winter 2000.
- “Returning and the Body in Abdelwahab Meddeb’s Talismano” in Itineraires,
volume 27, “Nouvelles approaches des texts littéraires maghrébins ou
migrants”. Paris: Harmattan, fall 1999.
- Translation of “Sociologie et Identité en Egypte et au Maroc: Le travail
de deuil de la colonisation”, by Alain Roussillon, for Cambridge History of
Social Sciences. Issue: “The Internationalization of the Social Sciences”,
- Editor of Special Issue of The Journal of North African Studies
(Volume 12, No. 3, September, 2007): “Through the Lens of Diaspora:
North African Cinema in a Global Context”. Author of article: “The Myth
of Masculinity in the Films of Merzak Allouache”, (30pp); Author of
Chair: Ali Jimale Ahmed
Dept. Office: Kissena 259