Procedures and Guidelines for All Reimbursements
- Everything must be reimbursed in the fiscal year within which it is purchased. The fiscal year runs from July 1 to June 30.
- Except for transportation, any single purchase greater than $250 must be approved in advance. Note that a "single purchase" is the total amount spent at one time (so one "click"), not just the cost of each item.
- Alcohol may never be reimbursed.
- Car rental or use of limousines (anywhere) will always entail special justification. Ground transportation to and from your home will be capped at $125 round-trip.
- The first point of contact for all requests for reimbursement (for travel or for research-related purchases) is Paul DuBois (firstname.lastname@example.org). Paul will be approving all routine requests.
- Please note that all of this advice is based on the latest information we have from Accounts Payable and is subject to change.
Funding from the Dean’s office is limited to transportation and registration fees to academic talks, where admission is by some sort of refereed process of selection. Actual participation (in some formal role), and not mere attendance, is a prerequisite for reimbursement. Moreover, your affiliation with Queens College must be somewhere recognized.
Invited talks are generally not supported as the expectation is that the host will cover expenses. Exceptions can be made for invitations to speak in particularly remote (and generally not first world) countries. Lecturers (and only lecturers) may receive funding to attend (and not speak at) conferences related to professional development (certified by their chair).
Professorial faculty may apply for up to $1000 in reimbursement per fiscal year; lecturers may apply for up to $500. The fiscal year runs from July 1 to June 30. As soon as your conference participation has been confirmed, please make your request in writing to Paul DuBois (who will approve all routine requests) with a copy to Myra Berman (who processes them).
Accounts Payable requires the complete paperwork be submitted within two weeks of your return to New York, so please do not delay. Proof of travel includes: receipts (including for conference registration), boarding passes, and a conference program with your name and role highlighted. While not necessarily the case, as a rule of thumb, you should assume that a request made after a trip has already taken place will not be reimbursed.
Research or Start-up Funds
Research or start-up funds must be used in the fiscal year in which they are given. They may not be carried over from year to year. Research or start-up funds may be used to purchase anything research related except for alcohol. (Because the source of these funds differs from Conference Travel funding, food and lodging are acceptable.) Any single purchase greater than $250 must be approved in advance. Note that a "single purchase" is the total amount spent at one time (so one "click"), not just the cost of each item. All equipment and furniture purchases must be confirmed in advance (computer equipment in particular must usually be purchased through OCT contracts). If you have any questions, please ask before buying.
View PDF of this original memo
Hours: Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm
Queens Hall, Room 210
65-30 Kissena Blvd
Queens, NY 11367-1597
Dean of Faculty
Division of Arts and Humanities
Dean's Office Staff
All Department Contact Information