The MS in Photonics is designed to satisfy all requirements for PSM affiliation. Our curriculum comprises physics courses, technology courses, business courses, and internships. Through this multidisciplinary program, students develop the fundamental knowledge and specialized skills required for jobs in high-tech industries.
I. Physics Courses
- PHYS 625. Applied Quantum Mechanics. 4 hr.; 4 cr.
- PHYS 615. Electromagnetic Theory. 4 hr.; 4 cr.
- PHYS 671, 672. Modern Physics laboratory. 4 hr., 2 cr.
- PHYS 637. Modern Optics. 4 hr.; 4 cr.
- PHYS 661. Computational Methods in Physics. 4 hr.; 4 cr.
- PHYS 635. Condensed Matter Physics. 4 hr.; 4 cr.
II. Technology Courses
- PHYS 675. Introduction to Nano and Microfabrication. 4 hr.; 4 cr.
- PHYS 621. Optoelectronics. 3 hr., 3 cr.
- PHYS 676. Foundation of Growth Techniques. 4 hr.; 4 cr.
III. Business Courses
- PHYS 620. Research and Writing in Physics. 3 hr.; 3 cr.
- Engineering Economics. 3 hr.; 3 cr.
Three months of summer internship at the end of the first year of the program (2 credits).
V. Final project
During the second year of the program, students work in three-person teams to design, model and fabricate a product approved by the project supervisor.