Linda Lamel, JD
Office Location: Powdermaker Hall room- 331
Phone number: 212 371-8257
Primary E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Secondary E-mail: email@example.com
Linda Lamel is an Adjunct Associate Professor of Economics. Ms. Lamel’s distinguished career includes her appointment as the Deputy Superintendent of the New York State Insurance Department in which she was responsible for the financial regulation of property and casualty companies, regulation of not for profit health insurers and HMOs, and insurance company statutory examinations. Ms. Lamel subsequently served as President of the College of Insurance and Vice President of TIAA-CREF where she managed their group insurance lines of business and developed their long term care product. She served as Executive Director of the Risk and Insurance Management Association (RIMS) and CEO of Claims on Line.
Ms. Lamel has served as a director of several insurance companies and is currently a member of the board of Universal American Co. and American Progressive Ins.Co. that specialize in life and health products for senior citizens, SCOR Re Life and Health Ins. Co., and SCOR Re.
She is a member of the Association of Professional Insurance Women, American Management Association Council on Risk and Insurance, and several bar associations. She is a former Co-chair of the Insurance Law Committee of the NY County Lawyers’ Association and Chair of the Medical Malpractice Committee of the City Bar. She also serves as a member of the board of Hour Children, an organization that works with incarcerated mothers. She has spoken and published widely on insurance issues. In 1988 Ms. Lamel was selected as the Insurance Woman of the Year by the Association of Professional Insurance Women and in 2000 was selected by Crain’s Business Insurance as one of the 100 Women Industry Leaders.
Ms. Lamel is currently in private practice specializing in regulatory matters, litigation support and arbitration. She is also an Adjunct Associate Professor at Brooklyn Law School. Ms. Lamel holds a JD from Brooklyn Law School, an MA from New York University and a BA from Queens College Magna Cum Laude.
- J.D. Brooklyn Law School
- M.A. New York University
- B.A. Queens College, Magna Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- "Significance of Risk in Direct Contracts with Health Providers," presented at Loyola University Chicago School of Law, Institute for Health Law, November 21, 1996. Published by American Bar Association.
- "Regulation of Insurance," Business Guide to Insurance, Matthew Bender, 1990.
- "The Insurability of Punitive Damages," ABA National Institute on Extracontractual Damages, San Diego, Calif., April, 1982.
- "1980 Survey of Insurance Law," 32 Syracuse Law Review 369 (1981), with J.E. Sands
- "1979 Survey of Insurance Law," 31 Syracuse Law Review 323 (1980), with J.E. Sands
- "State Regulation of Insurance," No. 665 Insurance Law Journal 336 (June, 1978).
- "1977 Survey of Insurance Law," 29 Syracuse Law Review 385 (1978), with J.E. Sands
|Sylvain Bouteille, MBA|
|Diane Coogan-Pushner, PhD, CFA|
|Georges Courtadon, PhD|
|Linda Lamel, JD|
|Orin Linden, PhD, FCAS, MAAA, ARM|
|Luc Marest, MBA, MS|
|Cara Marshall, PhD|
|Ardavan Mobasheri, MS|
|Stefan Ralescu, PhD|
|Jeffrey Satenstein, CPA|
|Wendy Wei Simi, PhD|
|Magdalena Sokalska, PhD|
|Suleyman Taspinar, PhD|
|John P Walker, PhD|
|Tao Wang, PhD|
|Renee Weiss, PhD|