Comprehensive English for English Language Learners
All courses are FREE and are held at Queens College.
New York City public high school ESL students who meet the academic admissions requirements are eligible to participate.
Fall (October-January) and Spring (March-June) semesters
Saturday, 9 am – 12:30 pm
Earned Credit and Certificates
- Participants who achieve a 75%+ attendance and a grade of 75+ earn high school credit for the course from their high school.
- Participants with 70%+ attendance and a grade of 70+ earn an official Queens College Certificate of Participation.
- Participants with 95%+ attendance and a grade of 95+ earn an official Queens College Certificate of Special Achievement.
The course is designed to provide ESL and bilingual students with supplemental preparation for the Comprehensive English Regents exam as well as to help them acquire college-level English skills. The course can be taken for one or for two semesters; the semesters have different curricula.
Participants engage in frequent reading, writing, and listening activities; they also practice literary analysis. They are required to work in small groups and occasionally do class presentations in order to build their academic communication and presentation skills.
- You must be recommended by the College Now liaison at your high school.
- You are currently taking ESL Comprehensive English in high school (or will next year).
- Your ESL level is intermediate.
- You have an ESL English GPA of 70+.