Committee Letter and Forms
If a student has met the requirements for a Committee Letter to be written, the final step is for the student to bring a copy of the complete application to the HPAS Office before 3:00pm, the first Friday in September.
Letters are not written after the first Friday in September through June of the next year.
The Letters are written June through first week of September by:
- Valli Cook, MBA, MS.Ed
- Mika Vesanen, PhD
If a student has not met with an HPAS Advisor at least once (in sequence) Fall, Spring, Fall, Spring, during the semester planned to file an application, no Committee Letter can be written for the Student.
However, students are still encouraged to meet with an Advisor for application assistance and support.
The Committee Letter is written when a student has complied with the following:
- Meet with Advisor each semester
- Accomplish completing required course work
- Document participation in relevant activities;
- Establish an office file which documents meetings and discussions
- Submit an autobiography as outlined in the form below
- Submit letters from science faculty on file by November 1
- Participate in patient care for 12+ months
- Participate in community service for 12+ months
- Submit letters from mentors and volunteer representatives
- Submit a copy of the completed application for each institution applying
The Committee Letter includes personal information about the student, comments from faculty and mentors, and the student's expressed level of commitment of interest in the profession in which she/he is applying.
Time Line for Committee Letter
- Letters in file before May of year applying
- Application completed by June – July of year applying
- Optometry students usually file application by September
- Copy of completed application submitted to HPAS Office
- 2+ weeks needed to write and mail letter to institutions once all steps have been followed.
Students should meet with an HPAS Advisor a minimum of two times before submitting an autobiography. Submitting an autobiography with no previous meeting will delay the writing of your Committee Letter.
Please Note: Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view these forms, which can be downloaded free from Adobe's site.