Preparation for Professional School
- Admissions Requirements of U.S. and Canadian Dental
Schools. Available from American Dental Education Association,
attention: Publications, 1625 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington, D.C.
20036-2212; 202-667-9433 ext. 777; or from http://www.adea.org. Editions are updated annually in the late Spring.
- The Complete Guide to Premedical Success. Gregory A. Andrews, M.D., J.D., F.C.L.M. Available from MedLaw Books, Inc., P.O. Box 4007, Erie, PA 15612-4007.
- Discover Osteopathy. P. Sneddon and P. Coseschi.Coseschi. Includes the origins and basics of osteopathy; a visit to an osteopath; survey of osteopathic techniques; case studies and much more.
- The D.O.'s: Osteopathic Medicine in America by Norman Gevitz. Reprint edition (October 1991) by Johns Hopkins University Press. Focuses on the history, philosophy, teaching, and practice of osteopathy, as well as its impact on the medical community.
- Educational and Career Opportunities in Alternative Medicine. Jones, Rosemary. 1998.
- Get Into Medical School: A Guide For the Perplexed by Ken V. Iserson, M.D. Covers all aspects of preparation and application. Available from Galen Press, Ltd., P.O. Box 64400, Tucson, AZ 85728-4400 and from http://www.amazon.com.
- Medical School Admission Requirements - United States and Canada. Available from http://www.amazon.com. Can also be ordered from: Association of American Medical Colleges - Membership and Publication Orders, 2450 N Street, NW, Washington, DC 20037. Phone: 202-828-0416 or by fax 202-828-1123. Also Editions are updated annually in late April.
- Minority Student Opportunities in U.S. Medical Schools. Available from AAMC - Membership and Publication Orders, 2450 N Street, NW, Washington, DC 20037; Phone: 202-828-0416 or fax 202-828-1123. Revised each April.
- Pharmacy School Admissions Requirement (PSAR). Available from http://www.aacp.org or from the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP), 1426 Prince Street, Alexandria, VA 22314, 703-739-2330 ext. 1035.
- Physician Assistant Programs, A National Directory. Available from the Association of Physician Assistant Programs, 950 North Washington Street, Alexandria, VA 22314.
- Podiatric Medicine and the Podiatric Physician. Available from the American Association of Colleges of Podiatric Medicine, 6110 Executive Blvd., Suite 204, Rockville, MD 20852.
- Veterinary Medical School Admission Requirements in the United States and Canada (VMSAR). Request the current edition from Purdue University Press, 1207 South Campus Courts, Bldg. E or by phone at 800-933-9637, or from http://www.amazon.com.
- Klass, Perri. 1988. A Not Entirely Benign Procedure.
- Ludmerer, Kenneth. 1999. Time to Heal: Medical Education from the Turn of the Century to the Era of Managed Care.
- McCarthy, Claire. 1997 (paperback). Learning How the Heart Beats: The Making of A Pediatrician.
- Schweitzer, Albert. 1998 (paperback). Out of My Life and Thought: An Autobiography.
- Bliss, Michael. 1999. William Osler: A Life in Medicine.
- Bruce, Dan 1988. A Piece of My Mind: A Collection of Essays from the Journal of the American Medical Association.
- Graham-Pole, John and Patch Adams. 2000 (paperback). Illness and the Art of Creative Self-Expression: Stories and Exercises from the Arts for Those with Chronic Illness.
- Hartman, D. and B. Asbell. 1978. White Coat, White Cane: The Extraordinary Odyssey of a Blind Physician.
- Laster, Leonard. 1996. Life After Medical School. Thirty-two Doctors Describe How They Shaped Their Medical Careers.
- Nuland, Sherwin. 1994 (hardcover), 1995 (paperback). How We Die: Reflections on Life's Final Chapter.
- Selzer, Richard. 1996 (paperback). Letters to a Young Doctor.
- Williams, William Carlos. 1996 (paperback). The Collected Stories of William Carlos Williams.
- Eliot, George. 1994 (paperback). Middlemarch.
- Fadiman, Anne. 1997. The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down.
- Galanti, Geri-Ann. 1997 (paperback). Caring for Patients from Different Cultures: Case Studies from American Hospitals (2nd edition).
- Grealy, Lucy. 1994. Autobiography of a Face.
- Hilfiker, David. 1996 (paperback). Not All of Us are Saints: A Doctor's Journey with the Poor.
- Kleinman, Arthur. 1996. The Illness Narratives.
- Kubler-Ross, Elisabeth. 1969. On Death and Dying.
- Lourde, Audre. 1980. The Cancer Journals.
- Remen, Rachel Naomi. 1996. Kitchen Table Wisdom.
- Sacks, Oliver. 1984. A Leg to Stand On.
- Solomon, Andrew. 2001. The Noonday Demon: An Atlas of Depression.
- Styron, William. 1990. Darkness Visible.
- Chekhov, Anton P. 1999 (paperback). Ward Six and Other Stories.
- Crichton, Michael. 1994 (paperback). Five Patients: The Hospital Explained.
- Garrett, Susan. 1995. Taking Care of Our Own: A Year in the Life of a Small Hospital.
- Gibbs, Harlan and A.D.Ross. 1996. The Medicine ER, or How We Almost Die.
- Risse, Guenter. 1999. Mending Bodies, Saving Souls: A History of Hospitals.
- Stevens, Rosemary. 1999 (paperback). In Sickness and in Wealth: American Hospitals in the Twentieth Century.
- Alvord, Lori Arviso. 2000 (paperback). The Scalpel and the Silver Bear.
- Belkin, Lisa. 1994 (paperback). First, Do No Harm.
- Elders, Joycelyn. 1997 (paperback). Joycelyn Elders, M.D.: From Sharecroppers Daughter to Surgeon General of the United States of America.
- Bosk, Charles L. 1981 (paperback). Forgive and Remember: Managing Medical Failure.
- Gorovitz, Samuel. 1991. Drawing the Line: Life, Death and Ethical Choices in an American Hospital.
- Jonsen, Albert R. 2000. A Short History of Medical Ethics.
- Pence, Gregory E. 1999 (paperback). Classic Cases in Medical Ethics: Accounts of Cases that have Shaped Medical Ethics (3rd edition).
- Riddle, John M. 1999. Eve's Herbs: A History of Contraception and Abortion in the West.
- Salmon, J. Warren (editor). 1994. The Corporate Transformation of Health Care: Perspectives and Implications.
- Starr, Paul. 1984 (paperback). The Social Transformation of American Medicine.
- Grmek, Mirko D (editor). 1999. Western Medical Thought from Antiquity to the Middle Ages.
- Nesse, Randolph M. and George C. Williams. 1996. Why We Get Sick: The New Science of Darwinian Medicine.
- Thomas, Lewis. 1995 (paperback). The Youngest Science: Notes of a Medicine-Watcher.
- Karesh, William. 2000 (paperback). Appointment at the Ends of the World: Memoirs of a Wildlife Veterinarian.
- Herriot, James. 1992. All Creatures Great and Small.
- Mahoney, James.1998. Saving Molly: A Research Veterinarian's Hard Choices for the Love of Animals.
- Rollin, Bernard E. An Introduction to Veterinary Medical Ethics: Theory and Cases.
Director and Chair: Valli Cook
Office Assistant: Helen Adam
should meet with the Health Professions director at least once each semester.