ON-CAMPUS RECRUITMENT AND PLACEMENT GUIDELINES
The Office of Career Development and Internships has several
programs to assist students in taking their first step on the road to career
success. On-Campus Recruitment is one such program. Students who want to take
advantage of this program are expected to invest the time and effort needed to
prepare for the process adequately.
- Accounting students are allowed to participate in OCR ONCE. Students must be CPA eligible and receiving either a master's degree OR a bachelor's degree with 150 credits. Students will NOT be allowed to participate a second or third time by changing/extending their date of graduation, etc.
- Both bachelor's (150 Credits) and master's degree students are invited and encouraged to participate in the campus recruitment program. To participate, students must attend the mandatory OCR Orientation Workshop, which is offered the first week of classes. If you have questions, please contact the office for additional information.
- To participate in recruitment activities, students are required
to attend each of the following four workshops at least once: Orientation to
Recruitment, Resume Preparation, and Interview
Techniques. These workshops are designed to help
students develop the skills necessary for effective interviewing. Copies of all
workshop schedules are available at our office and on our web page. The
orientation workshop is where all the requirements are discussed in detail.
- To prepare for the recruitment process, we suggest that you
develop a draft of your resume based on one of the formats in the Guide to
Writing Resumes and Cover Letters, which is available on our web page. Since
your resume represents you as a Queens College student, we require certain
standards to be met, and our office must approve your resume. If you bring in a
typed draft copy, you can pick it up three days later, after it has been
reviewed by a counselor. Once you fine-tune the resume, you can post it on
Symplicity and submit one hard copy to the office. Resumes that fail to meet our criteria will
not be accepted.
- In addition, you will be required to complete the On-Campus Recruitment
Registration Form which gives Queens College permission to send your resume to
potential employers by mail and/or electronically.
- Students must also sign and adhere to the student guidelines in order to participate in the program.
- A listing of companies and agencies that will be recruiting
on campus is posted on Simplicity. After
you apply on Symplicity, you should check your email on a regular basis to see
if you have been selected for an interview.
IT'S UP TO YOU
- Our office will provide you with as much assistance as
possible, but you are responsible for the success of your job search. If you
are selected for an interview, you must confirm your interest to interview by
signing up in time. If you don't sign up by the stated time, the employer will
select an alternate candidate for the interview.
- Should you decide not to sign up for a particular interview,
please contact our office immediately so that we have time to offer the slot to
an alternate candidate. The office will not call students for interviews; you
must keep up-to-date with your interview sign-ups and appointments. If you
cancel more than two interviews after you have signed up, you will be required
to see a counselor before another interview appointment can be scheduled for you. You will also have to write
a letter of apology to the recruiter with a copy to our office before you can sign
up for a subsequent interview.
- Don't miss your appointments! If you fail to show up, your
name will be removed from the recruiting schedule. No-shows are unprofessional,
waste the employer's time, and deprive other students of the opportunity to be
interviewed. If an emergency or an unforeseen situation arises, please call our
office immediately at 718-997-4465.
- To take part in our recruitment program, accounting majors
must post their resumes on Symplicity, and submit the hard copies to the
office as necessary by the stated deadline. Resumes will not be accepted after
- If you miss the fall deadline, you will have an opportunity
to submit your resume for the spring. You should be aware, however, that many
employers in a field such as accounting do the bulk of their campus recruiting
in the fall. So if you don't submit your resume in September, you will miss a
lot of good opportunities.
- Although our On-Campus Recruitment program is generally
scheduled in the Fall and Spring semesters, students who graduate after the
summer session can submit their resumes for the fall recruitment program
immediately following their graduation. It is strongly suggested that students
discuss their job-search plans with a counselor at our office for additional assistance and advice.
- For campus recruitment, employers post position(s) for
students to apply to on Symplicity. Interested students apply for that
position. The employer then selects candidates from the pool of applicants for
interviews. Students selected for the interviews choose and sign up for a time
slot for the day the employer is
scheduled to be on campus.
- The On-Campus Recruitment program is just one of the many
ways to realize your career and job-search goals. It does not guarantee
everyone a job, or even an interview. Students are, therefore, strongly urged
to utilize our job vacancy listing on Symplicity, and other resources at our
office. In addition, our workshops on job-search strategies are designed to
help you develop new skills and utilize resources, and to find rewarding career
opportunities in this competitive job market.
OFFICE OF CAREER DEVELOPMENT AND INTERNSHIPS
QUEENS COLLEGE, CITY UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK
FRESE HALL, ROOM 213, FLUSHING, NY 11367-1597
718-997-4465 E-mail: email@example.com