Navigate Up
Sign In

[X] Login to ...

Home > Admissions > Financial Aid
Financial Aid

Withdrawals and the Return of Federal Financial Aid

Federal student aid is awarded with the expectation that you will attend school for the entire period for which your financial aid was intended.

To establish eligibility for any federal financial aid payments, you must establish a record of attendance in each of your courses. The college uses your instructors' records of attendance to determine whether or not you have actually begun attendance. [Note: If you receive a financial aid payment for a class or classes you have never attended, you must return that payment immediately to the college.]

Once you start attending classes, the federal government requires that you "earn" your financial aid awards in direct proportion to the number of days you do attend. If you withdraw from all of your courses, the portion of your federal grants and loans you are entitled to receive is calculated on a percentage basis by comparing the total number of calendar days in the semester to the actual number of days you attended before you withdrew.

If you receive (or the college receives on your behalf) more assistance than you earn, the unearned excess funds must be returned to the Department of Education. If, on the other hand, you receive (or the college receives on your behalf) less assistance than the amount you have earned, you may be able to receive these additional funds.

For example, if you complete 30 percent of the semester, you earn 30 percent of the assistance you were originally scheduled to receive. The remaining 70 percent of your scheduled awards remains unearned and must be returned to the federal government.

After it has been determined that you have withdrawn, either officially or unofficially, City University of New York will perform the necessary calculations and notify you if you are eligible for further payments or if you must return any of the aid you already received. You will be required to repay to the college any grant funds the college had to return to the Department of Education on your behalf. In such cases, you will be billed by the college and have to make payment arrangements with the Bursar.

More information about withdrawals


 

 Office Information

 
Phone: 718-997-5102
 
Fax: 718-997-5122 
 

Assistance with the aid process is available in the One Stop Service Center in the Dining Hall. For more on the One Stop, visit www.qc.cuny.edu/onestop.

College Codes
FAFSA College Code - 002690
TAP College Code - 1416

ECSI College Code - F5

Our Mission Statement


NEWS
  • Please note that the Financial Aid tab on CUNYfirst will be active for Queens College students for Summer 2014 and following beginning on April 28, 2014.  
  • File all aid applications now with our college code and be sure to complete your CUNYFirst financial aid To Do List early.
  • It is now important that you complete your Fall 2014 registration before September 3rd.
  • The Last Day to submit a Direct Loan Application for the 2013-2014 Academic Year is April 24, 2014

 

 Applying for Financial Aid

 
 

 Useful Telephone Numbers

 

FAFSA Application Status 1-800-433-3243


FAFSA Technical Assistance 1-800-433-3243
NYS TAP Processing/Status 1-888-697-4372
Direct Loan Inquiries 1-800-848-0979
Selective Service 1-847-688-6888
Internal Revenue Service 1-800-829-1040
TuitionPay Payment Plan 1-800-635-0120

 
 
     



Queens College, CUNY| 65-30 Kissena Blvd.| Queens, NY 11367-1597| Phone: (718) 997-5000 Copyright © 2004-
Queens College is CUNY