Big Buddy FAQ
- What is the mission of the Big Buddy Program?
- Mentor, Educate and Empower children who are experiencing homelessness.
- What are the goals of the Big Buddy Program?
- Increase attitudes towards schooling.
- Increase motivations towards literacy and reading
- Increase knowledge in STEM-related academic subjects.
- Develop positive attitudes & self-esteem beliefs.
- Develop and increase emotional intelligence along with reducing personal worry and anxiety.
- Why mentoring?
- Mentoring tells young people there is someone who cares about them, assures them they are not alone in dealing with challenges, and makes them feel like they matter.
- Research confirms that quality mentoring relationships have powerful positive effects on young people – personally, academically, and professionally.
- Mentoring connects a young person to personal growth and development, and social and economic opportunity.
- What is the impact of service-learning experience on mentors?
- Learn how to be an effective and inspiring leader by serving as a role model.
- Develop practical skills such as remote management, lesson plan development, time management, goal setting, communication, leadership, and problem solving.
- Gain experiential knowledge in educating, & fostering mentoring relationships with children of diverse, socially disadvantaged backgrounds.
- Develop professional identity as emerging, caring educators and youth workers.
- What should I do if I can no longer be a mentor?
- Schedule time to discuss this with your Lead Mentor and send an email to schedule a meeting with the Program Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Who can I contact with questions?
- Communicate any questions with your lead mentors. Send your lead mentor an email at email@example.com.
- Are Big Buddies required to enroll in a 3 credit course?
- No. it’s not required anymore.
- Do Big Buddies get any academic credit?
- Not at this moment.
Pay Roll, Stipend, Time Sheets & Hours
- What is the pay rate for Big Buddy Mentors?
- $17 dollars per hour
- How many hours of service-learning are expected?
- 60 hours
- How many hours a week am I expected to participate in the mentoring program?
- Big Buddies commit 2 hours 30 min per week to engage with Little Buddies, with an additional commitment of 2 hours 30 min per week to complete administrative & preparatory tasks for Saturday meetings for a total of 12 weeks.
- 30 min: For individual prep time for developing mentoring and tutoring session agendas lesson plans.
- 1 hour: For traveling to the mentoring site which will be compensated for.
- 1 hour: For attending a professional development session or a debrief meeting.
- 2 hours 30 min: On site mentoring, engaging with the youth.
- How many hours will Big Buddy Mentors work during a week?
- Big Buddy Mentors will work 5 hours a week.
- How will Big Buddy Mentors get paid?
- When will mentors receive their stipend?
- What do I need to do to get my stipend?
- Submit a W9
Mentoring Sessions, Resources & Best Practices
- What should a mentor do if they cannot attend a session?
- Let your Lead Mentor know as early as possible and send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- How will each session be organized and conducted?
- Mentoring sessions will be held in person at the mentoring site.
Little Buddies & The Mentoring Relationship
- Who should a mentor contact if there is an issue in the mentoring relationship?
- Reach out to your assigned lead mentor and then also send an email to email@example.com.
- Should I give my cell phone number to my mentees’ parents?
- If you feel comfortable. We recommend using a Google Phone.
Professional Development Sessions
- Am I required to attend all Professional Development sessions?
- The expectation is that you will attend these. However, if you are unable to join us for one of the PD events, please email us ahead of time and we will share the recording and ask you to submit a brief write-up. Don’t forget you are being paid to attend these sessions. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Where can I access the mentee progress tracker?
- Please see Pg. 24 (Important Links Section) of the Policy Manual.
- When are the project trackers due?
- Immediately after each session on Saturday.