There are three components to the SPIRITAS Program:
1) Coursework (Spread over 2 years):
- Seminar in teaching science
- Standards Based Curriculum & Assessments in teaching science
- Curriculum & Instruction for Adolescent Special Education
- Language, Literacy & Culture
- Educational Psychology
- Reading and Writing for Diverse Learners
- Computer applications in Science Education
- Seminar in Research in Science Education I & II
- Educational Foundations
- Three Science Courses
2) Clinical Experience (1st Year):
- A clinical experience at the New York Hall of Science along with work in summer community programs and NYC Public Schools summer classes.
- Work in schools and at the New York Hall of Science in the Fall and Spring sessions as an intern.
3) Teaching (2nd Year):
- Candidates will be assigned to a school for the whole year. They will teach their own classes and observe mentor teachers.
- A seminar lasting all year will focus on induction as a 1st year teacher and Science Education Research.
*Program is subject to approval.