What forms of payment do you accept?

Online via CUNYfirst: e-check (free of charge), debit card or credit card (VISA, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover). When your debit or credit card payment is processed, a nonrefundable service fee of 2.65% will be charged to your account in addition to your payment.

Via Nelnet Payment Plan: e-check or credit card

Via Mail: check or money order

Visit our Payment Options page for additional options

– International wire transfers are accepted. See below for details.

I am an international student. How can I process an international payment?

With GlobalPay for Students: The fast and easy way for international students to make payments.

Take advantage of GlobalPay for Students and:

• Students, parents, and sponsors can use this platform to pay tuition and fees
• Avoid costly transaction charges from your bank
• Compare payment options instantly and hold the exchange rate for 72 hours
• Convera will match a lower quote from your bank with their Student Price Promise
• Track your payment status with text message and email

International payments are fast and easy with GlobalPay for Students

1. Log into CUNYfirst
• Go to your Student Center and select the Financial Account tile. Then click on the Make a Payment button.

2. Enter details
• Select View & Pay Accounts from the left-hand menu. Enter the payment amount for each college. From the drop-down select International Payment.

3. Get quote
• Choose the country you’re paying from and enter payment details.
• Select your preferred payment method.

4. Make a payment
Complete your payment in one of the following ways:
• Online: select from a variety of providers including AliPay, SOFORT, Unionpay, POLIpayments, WeChat Pay, iDeal, and Trustly.
• Bank transfer: receive payment instructions that you can use online.
• In-person: receive payment instructions that you can take directly to your bank or other pay or for easy processing.

5. Once your payment is made, track it online or via text message and email updates.

For more information and to make an international payment visit: International Payments FAQs

How do I make a credit card or e-check payment online?

To make a one-time credit card or e-check payment online:

1) Select the Make a Payment link in your Self-Service Center in CUNYfirst (make sure your pop-up blocker is disabled).

2) Select View & Pay Accounts from the left-hand menu. Click Make Payment. You will see a screen that displays all of the CUNY schools (past and present) associated with your student ID number. Next to each school will be a payment amount box.

3) Since each school is listed, each payment amount box will either be populated with a dollar amount, if you owe money to that school, or will be blank, if nothing is owed. You can choose to pay the entire amount in the payment amount box or you can override the prepopulated figure and enter the amount you wish to pay in the payment amount box next to the corresponding school.

4) DO NOT enter amounts into payment amount boxes of schools with no amounts due. If you do, a payment will be made to that school.

5) Click the Pay Using drop down to select your payment method (credit card or e-check). Before you finalize your payment, review your payment information to make sure you are sending money only to a school where you have outstanding charges, and to confirm the payment amount. If the information is wrong, cancel and start over.


If you finalized an incorrect payment, immediately contact the respective school’s Bursar Office.
If you pay by credit card, a nonrefundable service fee of 2.65% will be charged to your account in addition to your payment.
– For detailed instructions on how to make an e-check payment, you can view the Payment Video created by CUNY.

How do I enroll in a payment plan?

Enroll in the Nelnet Payment Plan through your CUNYfirst Self-Service Center by clicking on the enroll/manage payment plan link. Payment plans are available for Spring, Summer, and Fall. The enrollment fee is $25 per term/session. If you pay by credit/debit card, a nonrefundable service fee of 2.65% will be charged to your account in addition to your payment. There is more information about the payment plan here.

– When completing the Payment Plan Budget Worksheet, please include any prior balances so they can be incorporated into your initial payment plan total.​

– If you do not include your prior balance in the initial payment plan total, your payment plan balance will be recalculated (on the eighth day of the semester) to include any prior balances. Prior balances will be divided among your remaining installments.

– If your financial aid award has been removed for a prior semester, please note that this balance will be included in your payment plan.

– Any payment plan payments will be applied to the earliest balance first. For example, if you are enrolled in a Spring 2023 payment plan and also have an outstanding Fall 2022 balance, any payment plan payments will first be applied to your Fall 2022 balance until it is fully covered; subsequent payments will then be applied to your Spring 2023 balance.


What are the tuition and fee rates?

Tuition and fee rates can be viewed on the Tuition & Fee Costs page​.

What is the due date of my bill?

The due date of your bill can be found in each term’s Bursar Information Letter.

Where can I see my account balance?

Your account details are available in your CUNYfirst​ Self-Service Center by clicking on Account Inquiry under the Finances heading.  

I can’t pay my bill in full by my due date. What can I do?

You can pay your bill in monthly installments by enrolling in a Nelnet Payment Plan (by your due date). To enroll, log into CUNYfirst​ Self-Service Center, go to Finances, and select Enroll/Manage Payment Plan.

I have a Bursar Hold/Stop. Can I still register?

No. If you have a balance, it must be paid in full before your Bursar Hold can be removed.

How do I resolve a Bursar hold?
  • Log into your CUNYfirst account to review your bill and pay your balance (see Payment Options)
  • Check your to-do list on your CUNYfirst account and confirm you have completed all items
  • Contact respective offices (Admissions, QC Hub, Registrar & Financial Aid, or your Academic Department) to resolve residency, financial aid, scholarships and academic discrepancies or concerns
  • If you expected your balance to be covered by another party, contact that party to confirm and/or resolve that their payment is correctly reflected on your bill
  • Contact the Bursar’s Office for assistance and guidance on satisfying the balance due
Why am I being billed as an out-of-state student when I live in New York?

If you feel that your residency tuition rate is incorrect, visit the Admissions Residency page for detailed information regarding residency requirements.

What is an Academic Excellence Fee?

The City University of New York Board of Trustees approved the implementation of an Academic Excellence Fee effective Spring 2016. This fee supports the costs of enhancing the instruction and program offered to our students enrolled in certain program plans. For a listing of those plans and their fees, click here.

I registered for Winter session. Will I be billed activity fees?

Yes, students registered in the Winter session will be responsible for student fees (including Activity, Consolidated, Senate, and Technology fees); however, students registered in both the Spring semester and Winter session will be charged only one set of fees based on the combined number of credits in which the individual is enrolled.

I dropped my classes. Why am I still being charged?

Most likely, you dropped your classes after the official first day of the semester. Review the liability period dates and associated charges in the term’s Bursar Information Letter.

How can I obtain a copy of my bill?

You can print your own ebill for two semesters with these Instructions.

If financial aid is covering my entire bill, do I have to pay anything?

As long as your financial aid award is reflected on your CUNYfirst account, and covers your entire bill, you are not required to make a payment.

What is swapping and are there fees associated with swapping?

BEWARE – Add/Drop and Swapping of Classes and Tuition Charges

– Swapping is the dropping of one course and the adding of another course of the same number of credits and cost, within a seven-day period during the percentage liability period. This function allows for the student to add/drop during the liability period without incurring a percentage liability. Only an $18 change of program fee will be incurred.

– Summer session – There are four sub sessions in Summer Session (4W1, 6W1, 4W2, 6W2). Swapping courses between classes in different sub sessions will result in tuition percentage liability charges.

– Students who drop/swap or withdraw from a previously swapped class are liable for a percentage charge based on the liability schedule. For example:

  • You registered for ART 100
  • You swapped ART100 for ART 201 (on/after the first day of the term) during the percentage liability period
  • You dropped or withdrew from ART 201 or swapped ART 201 for ART 202 (on/after the first day of the term) during the percentage liability period

Result: You are now responsible for a percentage charge for ART 100 and ART 201.

– Multiple class changes may result in several tuition liability charges​.


What methods are available for students to receive refunds?

CUNY offers one electronic payment method, direct deposit, for students to receive refunds. Electronic payment eliminates the risk of losing a check and eliminates the need to physically visit a bank to make a deposit. All refunds of financial aid and/or tuition and fees (except those paid with a credit card) can be issued by direct deposit.
Learn more.

– Students who do not opt to enroll in direct deposit will receive a check at their mailing address.
– Students who paid using a credit card will have the credit refunded to their credit card.

How do I enroll in direct deposit?

Direct Deposit Enrollment

All refunds of financial aid and/or tuition and fees (except those paid with a credit card) can be direct-deposited into the student’s bank account. Students may enroll in direct deposit via CUNYfirst by following these easy steps:

  1. Navigate to Student Center > CUNY Direct Deposit
  2. Click Enroll in Direct Deposit.
  3. Enter your CUNYfirst password and click Verify.
  4. You will be emailed a one-time verification code. Enter the verification code and click Verify.
  5. Enter the required bank account information, agree to the terms and conditions, then click Submit. *TIP: Refer to your check or bank to verify your routing number, account number and account information.

You can also view detailed direct deposit instructions here.

Note: CUNY will never ask you to confirm any personal information via email. Always sign on to CUNYfirst​ to process your transactions and review account details.

How long will it take for my refund to be processed?

It can take two to three weeks.

Financial aid is covering my bill and I see a refund is due to me. When will I receive it?

Your refund will be processed once Queens College receives your financial aid payments (Direct Loan, Pell, SEOG, etc.).

Can I pick up my refund check?

No. All refund checks are mailed. Please verify that your mailing address is correct in your CUNYfirst Self-Service Center.

1098-T FAQ’s

Why didn’t I receive a 1098-T?

Students are not entitled to a 1098-T if their tuition was paid in full by financial aid or by a third party.

Note: If you believe that you are entitled to a 1098-T, but did not receive one, email and include your name, student ID number, and questions/concerns.

How can I obtain a copy of my 1098-T form?

A copy of your 1098-T form is available on your Self-Service Center in CUNYfirst​. To obtain a copy, log in to CUNYfirst​ and navigate to Campus Solutions -> Self Service -> Campus Finances -> View 1098-T.

Note: Before clicking on the link to view your 1098-T, be sure your browser’s pop-up blocker is turned off.

I believe my 1098-T is incorrect. Whom should I contact?

If you believe that your 1098-T is incorrect, email and include your name, student ID number, and questions/concerns. We will review your 1098-T and contact you.

How can I go paperless and receive my Form 1098-T via CUNYfirst Self-Service?

To promote our paperless incentives, CUNY offers all students an electronic Form 1098-T. To opt out of receiving a paper 1098-T form in the mail, go to Self-Service > Campus Finances > View 1098-T and click on Grant Consent.

The benefits of going paperless are:
– Online delivery provides access to the Form 1098-T earlier than the traditional mailing process.
– Online delivery eliminates the chance that the 1098-T will get lost, misdirected, or delayed during delivery, or misplaced once you receive it.
– Signing up for online delivery is easy and secure.
– You can receive your Form 1098-T even while traveling away from your mailing address.