Full tuition, activity, and material/transportation fees are refundable only if the student drops all registered courses in CUNYfirst before the first official day of the semester (not the first day of the student’s classes).
Students who drop classes after the semester has started are billed in accordance with the published liability schedule for that semester. All fees are nonrefundable after the semester has begun.
– The complete refund/liability schedule for each semester is posted in that semester’s Bursar Information Letter (available on the Bursar’s website).
– Senior citizens who drop classes after the semester has started are not eligible for refunds of the senior citizen and consolidated fees charges.
Issuing of Refunds
CUNY offers direct deposit electronic payment for students to receive refunds. Direct deposit eliminates both the risk of losing a check and the need to physically visit a bank to make a deposit. All refunds of financial aid and/or tuition and fees (except those paid with a credit card) can be issued using direct deposit.
– Students who do not opt to enroll in direct deposit electronic payment will receive a check at their mailing address. Students should review their mailing address in the CUNYfirst Self-Service Center. Students may also update their address at the One Stop Service Center.
– Students who paid through the Nelnet Payment Plan using a credit card will have the credit refunded to their credit card.
– Refunds may automatically apply toward any outstanding tuition balance.
Direct Deposit Enrollment
All refunds of financial aid and/or tuition and fees (except those paid with a credit card) can be direct-deposited into the student’s bank account. Students may enroll in direct deposit via CUNYfirst by following these easy steps:
- Navigate to Student Center > CUNY Direct Deposit
- Click Enroll in Direct Deposit.
- Enter your CUNYfirst password and click Verify.
- You will be emailed a one-time verification code. Enter the verification code and click Verify.
- Enter the required bank account information, agree to the terms and conditions, then click Submit. *TIP: Refer to your check or bank to verify your routing number, account number and account information.
You can also view detailed direct deposit instructions here.
Note: CUNY will never ask you to confirm any personal information via email. Always sign on to CUNYfirst to process your transactions and review account details.