University Skills Proficiency
Incoming freshmen are exempt by either of the following routes:
- Scoring at least 80 on one Regents exam and passing a course in trig (or higher); scoring 500 or better on the math section of the SAT.
- Anyone with a CUNY associate's degree is exempt.
- The passing score on the math 5 test is 57.
- Completing a three-credit, college-level math course at a regionally accredited college and earning a grade of C or higher earns exemption.
Reading and Writing
Incoming freshmen are exempt in reading and writing if they meet minimum scores on one of three standardized tests:
- 75 on Regents English exam; 20 on the English section of the ACT; 480 on both the verbal and critical reading sections of the SAT. The passing score on the reading proficiency test is 55, and the passing score for the writing proficiency test is 56.
- Completing a three-credit, freshman composition course (or a higher-level course for which freshman composition is a prerequisite) at a regionally accredited college and earning a grade of C or higher earns exemption.
If you are not sure of the accreditation status of your college or university, please ask someone in the Queens College Admissions Office.