About the Urban Studies Program
The Urban Studies Curriculum stresses:
- Critical review and analysis of issues facing urban areas worldwide, in the United States, and within New York City.
- The use of theory and research from the social sciences in the formulation and evaluation of social and economic policies.
- Seminars, tutorials, and field work to provide students with practical knowledge of public policy, including an understanding of the problems encountered when actually working in the field.
- Relating the student's life experience and personal observations to classroom reading and discussion. Participation by students in departmental research projects.
- Exposure to issues currently facing citizens and decisionmakers in New York City and the Borough of Queens.
As a small department, we promote a close working relationship between students and faculty.
The Graduate Program
Service Learning in Urban Studies