Proficiency Testing at New York University
Note: Students should refer to the New York University School of Continuing and Professional Studies website for the most current and accurate information.
Students seeking exemption from the Queens College foreign language graduation requirement by demonstrating proficiency in any of the languages below can take a proficiency examination at New York University.
Note: To qualify for this exemption, students must score at least 10 points out of a possible 12.
Proficiency exams are given throughout the year by appointment. The test is given at the following address:
NYU Midtown Center
11 West 42nd Street, Room 1039
New York, NY 10036
How to Make an Appointment
- Call the NYU Center for Foreign Languages and Translation at 212-998-7030.
- Be prepared to provide the following information:
- Social Security number or passport number
- Daytime telephone number
- Language and number of points (12 points for all Queens College exams)
Please call at least 24 hours prior to the exam if you must cancel or reschedule. If you fail to show up at the test site on time, your place will be given to another applicant.
- On the day of the exam, be sure you have with you:
- The name and address of the person or department where you want the results mailed. Results for Queens College exams must be mailed to:
Dr. William McClure
Acting Dean of Faculty
Division of Arts and Humanities
Queens College, CUNY
65-30 Kissena Blvd.
Flushing, NY 11367-1597
- A photo ID, such as a driver's license, student ID, or passport
- Your Social Security number or passport number
- Your money order payable to New York University. If you wish to pay by credit card, carefully write your credit card type, number, and expiration date on the appropriate lines of the registration form. Cash and personal checks are not accepted; the exam will not be administered without proper payment.
A fee is charged for taking the exam at NYU. For the most current fee for the 12-point exam, please contact the center at 212-998-7030.
All payments must be made by credit card or money order in U.S. currency only. The exam fee covers one official letter sent to a designated institution and one copy for the student's records.
Proficiency Testing in All Other Languages
Students seeking exemption from the Queens College foreign language graduation requirement in a language not tested New York University should contact the Dean of Arts and Humanities for further guidance.
Dean of Arts and Humanities
Location: Kiely 904
Office Hours: Mon.-Fri., 9 am-5 pm