Looking to become a Science Teacher?
SPIRITAS (Science Pedagogy, Inquiry and Research in Teaching Across Settings) is a program for individuals who already have a degree in science and who wish to enter the teaching profession. It is a two-year Masters Degree program that culminates in a both a Master of Arts Degree and a New York State Teaching Certificate.
The first year consists of a blend of field work with mentor teachers, and university classes. In the second year, the focus is on teaching where students will teach classes of their own and work with mentor teachers in schools. The university-based work is continuous with the emphasis being on both science and pedagogy that integrates research. Teachers graduating from this program will have developed the skills to:
- Reflect on their practice
- Integrate technology into their classroom
- Accommodate students with different needs
- Work with students from diverse backgrounds and cultures
SPIRITAS is an ideal program for new science graduates who plan to become teachers as well as for career-change individuals. All students accepted into the program will receive a stipend in their first year and will be paid for their teaching services in the second year.
- Masters Degree in Secondary Science
- NY State Teacher Certification
- Fee waiver of $10,000
- Stipend of $30,000 in Year I
- Pay for services as an educator in Year II
Please click under Important Links for further information.