Job Search Tips
A successful job search starts with a good understanding your strengths, interests, skills and preferences. It also requires a persistent and creative use of job search resources. Such a process will help you to organize your resume around your strengths and attributes. That is what prospective employers like to see when they review resumes. You will be able to identify potential places to forward your resumes and, finally, to prepare for the job interview effectively.
The following is intended to provide you with resources and directions in your job search campaign:
- Do a good self assessment; get a realistic sense of what you want.
- Choose an area or a field that interests you and that is compatible with your educational background and experience.
- Research that area/organization, etc.
- Make sure your resume and cover letter are well written without any errors.
- Make contacts by using some of the resources and methods indicated here or through any other resources you may have developed.
- Polish and perfect your interviewing and presentation skills.
Job Search Materials
Resource for International Careers
Job Search Links
The Job Interview
Job Search Ethics
Keep the Following in Mind in Your Job Search
Business Etiquette Dos and Don'ts
Finally, if you need assistance, we are here to help. Do come and talk to us. We're here fall, winter, spring and summer. Information on resume writing, cover letters, and information on interviewing is available at the Office and on our web site.
Job Search Workshops are conducted regularly to acquaint students with specific techniques and resources. These sessions are very useful to help you refine your job search and presentation skills. They also help you to get specific answers to your particular situation. We strongly urge you to sign-up and participate in these workshops; they are very useful.