QUEENS COLLEGE DIETETIC INTERNSHIP WEB PAGES
The Dietetic Internship (DI) at Queens College offers an intern the opportunity to acquire the essential knowledge and skills for a position as an entry-level dietitian. Interns are placed in a variety of local facilities to enhance their basic skills in the practice of dietetics. The curriculum is based on the Standards of Education of the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND) of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (formerly the American Dietetic Association/ADA). Upon successful completion of the program, candidates will be eligible to sit for the Dietetic Registration Examination, administered by the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR). The Program is fully accredited by ACEND through 2020. The address for ACEND is 120 S. Riverside Plaza, Suite 2000, Chicago, IL 60606-6995. The telephone number is 800/877-1600, ext.5400.
The Dietetic Internship is part of the Nutrition Specialty in the Master of Science Program in Nutrition and Exercise (329NU). therefore, all who apply for the Dietetic Internship must apply to the graduate program by the deadline for the year they expect to enter. The MS degree does not have to be completed for verification of completion of the Internship.”
The mission of the Queens College Dietetic Internship is to prepare entry-level dietetics practitioners in a manner that promotes flexibility and innovation in the increasingly global society.
Each student will be assigned by the Dietetic internship Director and be required to work in one or more facilities to successfully complete 1305 hours of experience. Students must work full-time in the assigned facility. Students will be required to gain experience in all areas of Dietetics. The program emphasis area is Community Nutrition.
If you are passionate about Community Nutrition, and you have a desire impact lives through flexibility and innovation in an increasing global society, please attend one of our Open House sessions to learn more about our Dietetic Internship Program.
Sessions will be held in Remsen Hall, (meet in room 306),
Dietetic Internship Fair
The Family, Nutrition and Exercise Sciences Department at Queens College will host a Dietetic Internship Fair, for Monday 1/11/16, 4:30-7:30pm. Please click here for the flyer. “Please click here for the preliminary program.”
Minimum of a 3.0 GPA in prior college work to be considered for admission to the program and maintenance of a minimum of a 3.0 GPA in graduate work at Queens College.
Verification of DPD completion from a program accredited by ACEND
Matriculated status in the Family, Nutrition and Exercise Sciences (FNES) Graduate program. (see Queens College Web site www.qc.cuny.edu to download graduate application)
Willingness to work as a member of a team and ability to function independent.
A personal interview may be required as part of the selection process.
The Dietetic Internship Program will assure that all interns understand the requirements for successful completion of the program for verification.
Over a five-year period, 95% of all interns will complete the program within 15 months of their entrance into the program.
100% of all interns will read and understand the requirements for successful completion of the program.
The program will develop competent entry-level practitioners.
Over a five-year period, a minimum of 80% of all graduates who take the Registration Exam for the first time will pass.
Over a five-year period, 90% of employed graduates will say they were well prepared for their first job.
Over a five-year period, 90% of all employers will indicate their overall satisfaction with the graduates’ knowledge of their chosen specialty, their ability to solve problems, think critically and communicate effectively.
The program will develop dietetics professionals who are capable of working in various settings.
Each student will receive a score of Satisfactory or better on all practice evaluation forms.
On all self-evaluation forms, a minimum of 90% of the interns will indicate confidence in their ability to meet this goal.
Over a five-year period, 70% or more of the DI graduates who have sought employment in dietetics will be employed within three months of completion of the program
Over a five-year period, 90% of employers will indicate overall satisfaction of the graduates’ ability to meet this goal.
Application Information and Deadline
The deadline for filing the application is February 15. A $35.00 fee is required. Make checks payable to Department Fund and send to the
Dietetic Internship Director
FNES Department, Remsen Hall 306
65-30 Kissena Boulevard
Queens, NY 11367-1597.
The Queens College DI participates in the electronic filing of Dietetic Internship applications (DICAS).
A minimum of four letters of recommendation are required with two from professors and two from professionals. For further information, contact the Program Director Dr. Victoria Fischer at firstname.lastname@example.org or 718.997.4138.
- Recommendations: A MINIMUM of 4 letters of recommendation are required, two from professors and two professional.
- DPD Verification Statement
- Official Transcripts
Queens College participates in Computer Matching for the class that begins in the fall only. The deadline is February 15. You must go through computer matching in order to be eligible for acceptance into the Queens College DI. Contact your DPD Director for a packet or you can apply on-line at http://dnddigital.com or contact D&D Digital Systems at 515.292.0490.
Waiver for Prior Experience
If you are accepted into the internship and have prior experience in food service or basic community, we will consider waiving the practical experience if:
- You have a minimum of three years experience in that area and
- You can show how you have met all the learning experiences and
- You pass a test with a minimum grade of 80%.
We will waive only one of those areas. We will not waive any part of the clinical or advanced Community Experience. Once you are accepted, if you believe you qualify to receive this waiver, please contact the program director so we may plan appropriately for the rest of your experience.
- DICAS: DICAS fee is $40 for one internship program and $20 for each additional program.
- D&D Digital: National computer matching fee is $50
- Dietetic Internship Fee: $35. The fee would be made out to the Department Fund and sent to Program Director (see below)
- $385/credit- New York State residents
- $710/credit- Out-of-state and international residents
- $158.35 consolidated fee, includes activity fee, consolidated fees and technology fees
- Medical Insurance: Students must carry their own medical insurance and proof of coverage must be shown to the Internship Director before going to first facility.
- All students are required to have medical exam within 3 months before the start of the internship at their own expense, and must present verification to Internship Director
- Proof of a TB test, recent Tetanus shot, MMR, Hepatitis B series, vaccination or waiver for meningitis must be provided
- Books: A reading list is available upon request and the cost incorporated into the anticipated additional expenses noted above.
- Transportation: All students are required to have their own transportation to and from sites.
- Housing: A dormitory is available on campus. There are several types of spaces available and can be viewed at www.qc.cuny.edu/thesummit and off-campus housing is also available.
Sample Rotation Schedule (1305 hours):
Clinical- 9 weeks (337.5 hours)
Basic Community- 9 weeks (315 hours)
Food Service Management- 9 weeks (337.5 hours)
Advanced Community- 9 weeks (315 hours)
Victoria Fischer, PhD MS RD CDN
Director of Queens College Dietetic Internship
Queens College – CUNY
65-30 Kissena Boulevard
Queens, New York 11367