Undergraduate Programs in Art History
Major: BA in Art History (36 Credits)
ART HISTORY COURSES: 30 Credits
- A. INTRODUCTORY SURVEYS: 6 Credits (NO MORE THAN 2 COURSES)
B. UPPER-LEVEL ELECTIVES: 21 Credits (7 COURSES MINIMUM)
- ARTH 101: History of Western Art I
- ARTH 102: History of Western Art II
- ARTH 001: Introduction to Art may be substituted for ARTH 101 or 102, but ONLY if it is taken before the student declares a major in Art History
- AP Art History credit: If you received a grade of 4 or 5 on the AP Art History exam in high school, you may receive transfer credit for ARTH 001 only
C. ARTH 300: SENIOR METHODS COLLOQUIUM (Capstone Course): 3 Credits (1 COURSE)
- Electives must be selected from ARTH 110-115, 200-299, and 310-349. They must include at least one course from at least three of the general areas of Art History: Ancient, Medieval, Renaissance-Baroque, Modern, and Non-Western.
- Majors with suitable preparation may take graduate-level courses for major credit, with the permission of the instructor.
- Majors who wish to take more than three art history courses in the same semester must obtain written permission to do so from the art history advisor.
- This is a required course for all Art History majors, and must be taken in your final year in the program.
- Offered every Fall semester. If your final semester at QC is in the Fall, ARTH 300 must be taken in your final semester. If your final semester is in the Spring, the course must be taken in the Fall semester before your final semester.
HISTORY COURSES: 6 Credits (2 courses)
Foreign Language Requirement: This may be satisfied by one of the following options: (1) Four semesters of French, German, Italian, or Chinese, or a Regents diploma in one of these languages; (2) Three semesters of one of the above languages, plus an introductory course (or a course for reading) in a second of these languages; (3) Two semesters of ancient Greek or Latin, plus an introductory course or a course for reading in French, German, or Italian. Note: Students who have satisfied the college's foreign language requirement in a language other than one of those listed above will normally be expected to complete the departmental requirement as well. Students who have attained competency in any of the required languages by other means may, at the discretion of the department, demonstrate their proficiency by passing the department's language examination. They may also petition for acceptance of one other language specifically related to their fields of interest. Consult the Art History office for further information.
Minor in Art History (18 Credits)
Required (18 credits):
The minor must include ARTH 101 and 102 (ARTH 001, if already taken, may substitute for either); four elective courses, which must include one course from at least three of the general areas of art history—Ancient, Medieval, Renaissance-Baroque, Modern, and Non-Western—to be selected from ARTH 110–115, 200–299, and 300–349.