Queens College, CUNY and the New York State Education Department: Office of Bilingual Education and World Languages (NYSED OBEWL)
Online Bilingual Extension Program
Queens College, CUNY seeks to recruit 20 candidates whose tuition will be funded by the NYSED OBEWL for the completion of five courses leading to the Bilingual Extension. This program will only accept one cohort of twenty candidates for Fall 2017 and another cohort for Fall 2018. Candidates will have to commit to completing the one academic year program (2017-2018 or 2018-2019) that will qualify them for positions as bilingual teachers in the State of New York.
The purpose of this program is to prepare future bilingual teachers for working with English language learners/multilingual students. The program emphasizes research and practice in bilingual pedagogy and bilingualism in linguistically and socially diverse environments and communities.
The application must be submitted online to Queens College Graduate Admissions.
The application deadline is May 20. You may follow the direct link below to begin your graduate application.
Admission Requirements and Prerequisites
To be admitted in the program candidates are required to:
Submit NYS Teacher Certificate in an area that is eligible to receive the bilingual extension (i.e. early childhood, elementary education, special education)
Submit undergraduate and graduate transcripts that show a GPA of at least 3.0.
3. Be proficient in a language other than English. This proficiency must be in the language in which they are seeking the Bilingual Extension. Candidates need to take a language proficiency test at Queens College or by using FaceTime or Skype. Candidates who have already taken and passed the Bilingual Education Assessment do not need to take the Queens College language proficiency test but must demonstrate proficiency by submitting their BEA results with passing scores.
4. Write a 500-800 word essay stating the interest and/or importance for becoming a school leader in bilingual school settings.
- Please make sure that you state in your essay that you are applying to the NYSED Subsidized Program.
- Please send an email to Dr. Patricia Velasco (email@example.com), stating that you have completed your application
5. Submit GRE results with the application.
The Bilingual Extension consists of 5 courses or 15 credits. The courses are all offered online:
EECE 761: Foundations of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism
EECE 763: Developing Language and Literacy in the Home Language (Spanish) or equivalent course EECE 791.3 in Chinese.
EECE 764: Instruction and Assessment across the Content Areas for Bilingual Learners
EECE 766: Educational Linguistics and Psycholinguistics
EECE 767: Pedagogical Practices in the Multilingual Classroom
May 20th to join the program in the Fall 2017 semester.
For further information regarding the Bilingual Education program, please visit the website: Bilingual Education Program
Prospective candidates for this program should contact:
Dr. Patricia Velasco | Associate Professor
Department of Elementary and Early Childhood Education
Bilingual Education Program
Queens College, CUNY
Powdermaker Hall 054E
Please visit the Queens College Graduate Admissions website for more information.