The program is for students whose GPAs are 3.5 or higher. It is currently operational in the Business, Economics, Finance, Accounting, Journalism and Risk Management areas. The steps that must be completed to earn the designation of "Queens College New Professional" follow.
New Professionals Candidates are required to:
- Attend four of our Career Center's seminars, including those for Job Interviews and Resume Writing [Candidates' resumes must then be reviewed and approved by our career counselors.]
- Attend at least one special campus event featuring a speaker from the business community and attend at least one Queens Business Forum Breakfast
- Participate in and "pass" two mock interviews [one by a "campus" interviewer and one by a New Professionals Program business "partner"/mentor]
Note: We also ask that all New Professionals Candidates and Ambassadors read the Wall Street Journal and New York Times Business Section daily.
As a part of their preparation, students are given additional instruction on:
- Dressing appropriately for interviews for their chosen industries
- Responding to questions that their personal resumes may raise in the mind of interviewers
- Researching companies and developing appropriate questions for the interviewer