FOLLOW UP/THANK-YOU LETTER
It is essential that you express a continuing interest in the internship. You may choose to write a letter to confirm an interview or an understanding of a conversation you had with an internship employer. However, after you have an interview you must send a thank-you letter 24-48 hours after the interview. This is NOT a thank-you card and is NOT handwritten. The letter must be in business format and typed. The letter should be brief, thanking the interviewer for meeting with you and expressing your commitment to the internship. The thank-you letter should include:
- Your address
- The employer's name, title and address
- The date
- A short paragraph thanking the employer for meeting with you
- A short paragraph highlighting what about the internship was interesting to you and your qualifications for the internship
- A closing paragraph reiterating your interest and how and when you can be contacted
- It is sometimes appropriate to send a thank-you via e-mail in lieu of a thank-you letter if the employer has invited you to contact him/her via e-mail.
If the internship application process is time sensitive, it may be appropriate to send a thank-you letter via e-mail as it is the fastest way to reach an employer. In order to send an e-mail letter, you must ask the employer’s permission to contact him/her via e-mail. Be sure to keep your e-mail thank you letter professional!