Navigate Up
Sign In

Login to ...

A-Z Index
Home > Admissions > Financial Aid > FAQs

The Cafe in the Rosenthal Library

Frequently Asked Questions

Feel free to contact us if you have further questions after reading these FAQs.

Why do I need to bring photo ID?
One important reason is that your
confidentiality is important to us. Please bring your photo ID with you whenever you come to the Financial Aid Office. Other offices on campus will also request it. 

Why isn't my financial aid on my bill?
There may be several reasons.
1) You may not have resolved problems on your application; check the
status links on this website to see information about the status of your aid applications.  
2) You might not be registered at an eligible status for your aid award; the bill you receive in the mail may have a message next to an aid award (bottom left of the bill). 
3) You may have filed late.
4) It may be too early in the semester's registration process for any aid to be posted for anyone.
5) You might have paid your bill yourself; if there is no balance due after your payment, no aid will be applied to the bill.

See our Checking Your Application and Award Status page for more information.

Why is only part of my aid on my bill?
Your bill shows only aid needed to pay your bill. For many of our students, that is just a portion of their aid. See our Checking Your Application and Award Status page for more information.

Do I lose my aid by paying the bill myself?
Not if you are otherwise eligible for the aid. But you will have to wait until the aid payment is received by the college before a refund will be issued. 
File early for financial aid, and resolve any problems early, in order to have your aid vouchered toward the bill before the billing deadlines.

I was told I need to go to Social Security Office to document my status as a naturalized citizen. What is this all about?
In the federal aid application process, a match is performed between the Social Security database and the information you reported related to your citizenship. For students who have been naturalized, discrepancies are not unusual. Call the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213 for more information, as well as the address of the office where you should go with your citizenship documentation. Be sure to bring us a copy of the form you get from Social Security confirming that you have updated your status, so we may continue to process your aid.

I've been told my application was selected for VERIFICATION by the federal processor and that I need a copy of my tax return. I did not keep a copy. What do I do?
Call the Internal Revenue Service at 1-800-829-8815 or 1-800-829-1040 and request a copy. You can no longer walk into an IRS office and get the information the same day. We understand it takes 10 to 15 days to receive the transcript of your tax returns. When you receive the documentation from IRS, bring a copy we can keep when you come to see a counselor, along with all other forms and documents requested as part of the verification process. That process, for those selected, includes completing a verification form, available on our
forms page on this website; print it out, complete it, and get all the signatures you need before coming in to the office.

My Student Aid Report has a Selective Service documentation message. What do I need to do?

Men over the age of 25 who were not required to register for Selective Service can request a Status Verification Letter from Selective Service. Bring that letter to a financial aid counselor for review so that processing of your aid application can continue. See the Selective Service website at for information and how to request the letter.

What's Direct Deposit?
Direct Deposit is an option that many of our students prefer. It's great because they don't have to wait for the mails in order to receive any balance in their aid (most but not all aid programs participate). If you select Direct Deposit, aid remaining after your obligations to the college are paid is deposited directly into a bank account you identify on the Direct Deposit Authorization Form.

I'm planning to pay an accountant to prepare my aid application, and now I get to a website that asks me to pay to file the FAFSA. What gives?
Instead of paying the accountant, complete as much of the application as you can, and bring it with the documentation to a financial aid counselor; we'll help you complete the questions you aren't sure about. IN NO CASE PAY TO FILE THE APPLICATION ITSELF ON THE WEB—filing on the FAFSA website is FREE. If you get to a website that asks you for money, back out of it and recheck the site name.

I filed my applications too late to be offered a Pell book voucher. Have I lost that money?
>>>>Note: Starting fall 2009, Pell book advances/checks will replace the old Pell book voucher system.
Book advances at Queens are NOT additional money. Students who receive a book advance are receiving part of their Pell award early for books. Since it is a check or direct deposit, it can be used anywhere.

I'm receiving aid at QC and am graduating soon. I'm floored by the costs of applying to graduate schools.
 Any suggestions?
Read carefully all application information FOR EACH school, application service, and each graduate test application. Not everyone offers fee waivers. If they do, there will usually be a section related to how to request an application fee waiver—follow those instructions and deadlines carefully. In some cases, they may want you to include something from your undergraduate financial aid office; if so, and if you are currently receiving aid through us, bring us all the information for review.

I am just applying for admission to QC. I'm not a U.S. citizen or green card holder. Will I be eligible for any aid?
As far as New York State and U.S. government aid is concerned, the answer to that question depends on your actual immigration status, as well as the length of time you have been a New York State resident. We need to know that before we can answer your question.  

Details on eligibility requirements related to your citizenship status for aid from the U.S. government are on the web at

While New York State aid requirements are similar, there are some variations, including specific requirements for New York State residency.

There is no citizenship requirement for the Peter Vallone / NY City Council Merit Scholarships.


Our web page on Finding Other Sources of Aid might be of some assistance to students who are not eligible for Federal and New York State aid.

Please note that there is a separate set of requirements for being billed tuition and fees by the college as a New York State resident. Contact the Admissions Office to discuss what you may need to present as documentation to them in order to be considered for resident tuition.

Students and prospective students on visas should contact the International Student Services office on campus as early as possible for assistance with a variety of important issues.



 Office Information


Effective Monday, April 16th, the Office of Financial Aid Services will be relocating to the Registrar's Office located on the first floor of Jefferson Hall.

Office Hours:
Mondays - Thursdays: 9:00 am - 6:00 pm
Fridays: 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm

Location:  flirst floor of Jefferson Hall
Phone: 718-997-5102
Fax: 718-997-5122 

The Office of Financial Aid Services uses email as our official method of communication.  In order to assure that you receive all communications related to your application, please make sure the e-mail address that you provided on your application is correct.  Please add Queens College to your address book to avoid e-mails from being sent to spam folders.

College Codes
FAFSA College Code - 002690
TAP College Code - 1416

Our Mission Statement

  • NEWS
  • 2018-2019 - Important Dates & Deadlines
    • ​​Students who need to submit additional documentation for their 2018-2019 financial aid, we will begin to accept documentation starting Monday, April 23rd.
    • The Excelsior Scholarship application for 2018-2019 is available from 9:00 am, March 26, 2018 til 11:59 pm, July 23, 2018.

  • Spring 2018 - Important Dates & Deadlines
    • The Excelsior Scholarship application for the Spring 2018 semester was December 4th, 2017​.  If you first received the award in the fall term of the current academic year, no additional action is needed for the spring term.  
    • The last day to add courses was February 2, 2018. Your registration as of February 2nd will be used to determine your maximum financial aid eligibility for the semester (grants, loans and work-study).
    • February 16, 2018, was the last day to declare a major for TAP/APTS eligibility for Spring 2018.
    • March 2, 2018, is the last day to apply for APTS.
    • May 4, 2018is the last day to apply for a direct loan.
  • Fall 2017 - Important Dates & Deadlines
    • Th​e last day to add courses is August 31, 2017Your registration as of August 31st will be used to determine your maximum financial aid eligibility for the semester (grants, l​o​ans, and work-study).
    • September 14thwas the Last day to declare a major for TAP/APTS eligibility for Fall 2017.
    • September 29th, was the last day to apply for APTS.
    • December 8th, was the last day to apply for a Fall only loan.



Discimus ut Serviamus: We learn so that we may serve
Queens College motto
Godwin Terbach art displays and exhibit
Stay Social at QC YouTube Facebook Twitter Gray Bar Calendar MyQC QC Mobile CUNY first Blackboard QC Bookstore

Click each division to view a complete list of its departments

Adult Collegiate Education | English Language Institute | Professional & Continuing Studies
Summer Session | Weekend College | Winter Session

Resources for Combating Sexual Harassment/Sexual Assault (Title IX)

Queens College is CUNY
DirectionsMap/Directions  |  Emergency Preparedness  |  Working at QC  |  Student Consumer Info  |  A-Z Index  | 
Queens College, CUNY | 65-30 Kissena Blvd. | Queens, NY 11367-1597 | Phone: (718) 997-5000 Copyright © 2004-