The Department of Educational and Community Programs provides a sequence of courses for practicing school counselors, school psychologists, and school social workers who currently hold provisional or permanent certification in their respective disciplines and are seeking the bilingual extension. The 15 credit sequence of courses is approved by the New York State Education Department and includes a field component. The purpose of the sequence is to prepare school counselors, school psychologists, and school social workers to provide bilingual educational, psychological, and mental health services to linguistically diverse students and parents in school settings. Candidates completing the 15 credit sequence will be eligible for the New York State Education Department’s bilingual extension in their respective fields.
The bilingual extension sequence of courses is specifically designed for pupil personnel in the fields of school counseling, school psychology, and school social work. Candidates in those various fields take courses together in order to receive an interdisciplinary training experience. Candidates obtain competencies as follows:
- Awareness of cross-cultural differences
- Knowledge of the second language acquisition process
- Knowledge and skills in using a variety of culturally sensitive assessment tools
- Skills in developing and implementing culturally responsive school-based interventions
- Skills in providing culturally responsive consultation services to other school personnel
- Knowledge and skills to work with linguistically and culturally diverse families
- Skills in multicultural counseling
- Knowledge of educational programs appropriate for bilingual students and English language learners.