Office of Research and Sponsored Programs
About - Office of Research & Sponsored Programs
The Office of Research & Sponsored Programs has reopened and staff are available by appointment. Some staff are still working partially remote but all are available via phone and email during regular hours. We are eager to help the faculty and the College apply for grants, manage them, and assist with issues related to sponsored research.
Services we provide include:
Assistance with finding funding
Help with preparing applications including budgeting, liaising with granting agencies, compliance with regulatory issues and navigating forms, instructions, and submission process.
Assistance with all post-award processes including hiring, purchasing (including contracts), reporting, and working with the Research Foundation to make sure your account is accurate and understandable.
To support their research in wide range of disciplines, Queens College faculty members were awarded over $20 million in grants and contracts through these last two years 2019-2020. Recent grants, for example, have funded wastewater and COVID-19 outbreaks, optical laser beam technology, environmental studies, solar energy dynamics, climate dynamics and demographic studies on a variety of topics.
If you are thinking about preparing a new proposal in the near future, please let ORSP know as soon as you can either by phone or email. We need at least 14 days notice and if you have external collaborative partners, please allow for at least one more week so that we give your collaborator’s team time to comply with all the necessary paperwork on both our side of the process and theirs.
All grant proposals must be cleared through QC’s Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (ORSP). Our staff members review the proposals, prepare budgets, assist with administrative details–including obtaining institutional approval–and are the final stop before applicants submit proposals to government and private agencies. Please see our Grant Submission Policies and Procedures (revised) for more details. One of the first steps you should take is to complete the Internal Approval Checklist. This form helps us determine what resources you will need to complete your application successfully.
Remember the following deadlines and compliance issues when preparing a proposal:
- Completed proposal draft, budget, and justification: 5 business days prior to the deadline.
- Proposals that include required cost-sharing (voluntary cost-sharing is not allowed) must be completed at least 15 business days prior to the deadline.
- Final submission and approval: 5 business days before the agency deadline.
- Responsible Conduct of Research and Conflict of Interest training must be completed and reports on file with ORSP.
- Significant Financial Interest Disclosure form(s) must be completed for all sponsored programs and for each proposal. There are separate forms for PHS sponsored research and all other sponsored programs. Please see the CUNY Conflict of Interest webpage for more information and current forms.
- An Export Controls Evaluation form must be completed before any proposal submission.
If you miss one of these deadlines, please call a grants officer in ORSP (Marisol Caamano, Regina Caulfield, Maryluz Diaz, Aster Williams) to discuss further options.
ORSP is also QC’s liaison with the Research Foundation of CUNY (located in Manhattan), assisting grant awardees with day-to-day paperwork and administrative tasks.
In addition, we disseminate information on grant opportunities, available support, regulations, policies, and the application process. To keep projects going between grants, we help coordinate bridge funding.
Our website includes other useful material, as well. We continue to add information that we think will be helpful in the grant application and award process. Please check out our new Alerts! page for the latest details about important policy and funding.