Navigate Up
Sign In

Login to ...

A-Z Index
Home > Admissions > Financial Aid
Financial Aid

If you're in a dispute about your federal student loan, contact the Federal Student Aid Ombudsman Group as a last resort.

The Ombudsman Group is dedicated to helping resolve disputes related to Direct Loans, Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program loans, Guaranteed Student Loans, and Perkins Loans.

If you’ve completed the steps to resolve your loan dispute and you still are not satisfied, you may need to contact the Federal Student Aid (FSA) Ombudsman Group of the U.S. Department of Education (ED). The Ombudsman Group is a neutral, informal, and confidential resource to help resolve disputes about your federal student loans.

    resolve discrepancies with loan balances and payments;

    * explain loan interest and collection charges;

    * identify options for resolving your issues related to consolidation, service quality, default status, bankruptcy, income tax refund offsets, and other concerns;

    * clarify requirements for loan deferment or forbearance and loan cancellation or discharge; and

    * identify loan repayment options.

    They do not

    * automatically take your side in a complaint;

    * make binding decisions or overturn the decisions of other entities;

    * accept complaints about grants;

    * accept complaints about private student loans;

    * accept complaints when ED has already begun formal or legal investigations;

    * accept loan payments or process deferment, forbearance, or discharge requests (you must contact your loan servicer or collection agency directly);

    * replace regular or formal channels of problem resolution within ED; or

    * testify or serve as a witness.

    Take the following steps to help you prepare for a discussion with the Ombudsman Group.

    1. Complete the relevant information on the Ombudsman Information Checklist.

    2. Clearly think about your desired outcome. Answer the following questions:

    * What is the problem?

    * What is your expectation?

    * What is preventing you from resolving your issue?

    * Are you willing to complete the necessary actions to achieve your desired outcome?

    If you've completed the preparation steps above, and you have done everything you can to resolve your dispute, contact the Ombudsman Group through one of these methods:

    Postal Mail:
    U.S. Department of Education
    FSA Ombudsman Group
    P.O. Box 1843
    Monticello, KY 42633

    Phone: 1-877-557-2575

    Fax: 606-396-4821

    Or complete the secure and confidential Ombudsman Assistance Request Form. Remember, the Ombudsman Group can help resolve disputes about federal student loans. If you have a dispute about your private student loan, contact the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.

    You can expect the FSA Ombudsman Group to

    * research your problem and review any supporting information you share;

    * work with you and other offices within ED, your school, your lender, your loan guaranty agency, and the loan servicer or collection agency;

    * assist you in identifying and evaluating your options for resolving specific concerns; and

    * when necessary, refer you to the appropriate office or organization.

Stay Social at QC YouTube Facebook Twitter Gray Bar Calendar MyQC QC Mobile CUNY first Blackboard QC Bookstore

Click each division to view a complete list of its departments

Adult Collegiate Education | English Language Institute | Professional & Continuing Studies
Summer Session | Weekend College | Winter Session

Resources for Combating Sexual Harassment/Sexual Assault (Title IX)

Queens College is CUNY
DirectionsMap/Directions  |  Emergency Preparedness  |  Working at QC  |  Student Consumer Info  |  A-Z Index  | 
Queens College, CUNY | 65-30 Kissena Blvd. | Queens, NY 11367-1597 | Phone: (718) 997-5000 Copyright © 2004-