Petrie Emergency Grant
The Queens College Carroll and Milton Petrie Student Emergency Grant Fund provides quick response emergency grants to matriculated students in good academic standing who are experiencing personal emergencies. The goal of the fund is to help students remain in school without interruption and successfully complete their degree.
Applicants are required to submit a statement of need explaining the emergency, and how, if awarded, the funds will be used to resolve it. Applicants may also be expected to supply corroborating documentation from third-party sources. Decisions on eligibility and amount of grant awards are made on a case-by-case basis. If awarded, the grant does not need to be repaid, but it may be considered taxable income, which the recipient would need to self-report.
The following are some examples of eligible emergencies and expenses that the fund will consider:
- Overdue utilities bills and shut-off notices
- Rent in arrears, at risk for eviction
- Housing assistance for homelessness
- Medical and dental bills for uninsured necessary procedure
- Destruction of living quarters due to fire or other natural disaster
- Documented theft of computer, books, clothing, or other essential belongings
- Assistance in paying for food, transportation, and basic necessities due to recent unemployment or recent financial difficulty
- Automobile expenses (if a student’s car breaks down and is his/her only means of transportation)
- Child care for legal dependents
- Travel home for illness or death in the immediate family
- Victims of domestic violence
The grant is NOT intended to cover:
- Previous college tuition debt/expenses
- Current full or partial tuition and fees
- Personal debts, including credit cards and loan
- Legal representation/attorney fees in a criminal proceeding, including child support
- Legal representation/attorney fees for CUNY disciplinary proceedings
The Carrol and Milton Petrie Student Emergency Grant Fund is not a substitute for financial aid. Students who are seeking funds are required to avail themselves of all available financial aid resources, including loans, before being considered for a Petrie Grant. Students who are ineligible for financial aid may still be eligible for a Petrie Grant. Financial aid status will be verified for all applications.
For more information on the program, contact the Office of Student Affairs via email PetrieGrant@QC.CUNY.EDU
or call 718-997-5500.