Prospective Cohort FAQ
Q. I’ve applied to the CUNY Service Corps but haven’t heard back, what should I do?
- We are still receiving applications and reviewing them. We will email you any updates on your qmail account.
Q. Do I need any letter of recommendations while submitting an application?
- No, you do not need any letter of recommendations while applying. We do however will be needing contact references.
Q. Can I apply as a Part Time student?
- In order to be a part of CUNY Service Corps, you must be a full time undergraduate student.
Q. What are some examples of CUNY Service Corps partners?
- CUNY Citizenship Now!
- New York Hall of Science
- CUNY Creative Arts Team
Q. Can students reapply to the Service Corps if they’ve applied in previous years but were not accepted?
- Yes, we encourage students to reapply to the CUNY Service Corps.
Q. Can students who graduated from the CUNY Service Corps in previous years, reapply for another year?
- No, students who graduated from the CUNY Service Corps program cannot reapply for another year.
Service Corps Application
Q. I have submitted the application a while ago but I was wondering if you are allowed to go back in and edit my application.
- Unfortunately the system does not allow you to go back and adjust your application
Q. How will you contact me regarding my application?
- We will email you directly through your Queens College email.
Q. What are the program eligibility criteria?
- Be working towards a degree at one of the 5 participating colleges (Queens College, Hostos Community College, LaGuardia Community College, John Jay College, NY College of Technology)
- Be enrolled full-time (at least 12 credits for undergraduate and 9 credits for graduate students) in spring 2020 and plan to enroll full-time during the 2020-2021 academic year
- Have a cumulative Grade Point Average of at least 2.5*
- Have earned at least 24 college credits by the end of summer 2020 (12 college credits for community college students)*
- Have addressed any remedial education needs prior to beginning fall 2020 classes
- Have the proper work authorization required by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
- The Service Corps is a one-year commitment and opportunity for CUNY students. Past or current Service Corps members may not reapply.
Q. How many credits do I need to apply to the Service Corps?
- 12 credits and above. You need to be a full time student for both Fall and Spring semester in order to apply to the CUNY Service Corps and you must be an undergraduate student.
Q. What GPA do I need to apply to the Service Corps?
- You need at least a 2.5 GPA.
Q. Do I need to have work authorization in the US to apply to the CUNY Service Corps?
- Yes, in order to qualify you will need to have a work authorization in the US.
Q. I am an international student, can I apply to the Service Corps?
- Yes, international students and DACA students are eligible to apply.
Q. I am a graduate student, can I apply to the program?
- Unfortunately the program has changed over the year and graduate students cannot apply to the program.
Q. I am an incoming undergraduate student, can I apply to the program?
- Yes, you can apply if you have to complete at least 24 credits before you start the program.
Q. I am an incoming transfer student, can I apply to the program?
- Yes, as long as you have at least 24 credits completed.
Q. What are expectations of students once they get into the program?
- Student must work in their placement site for 10 – 12 hours a week.
- Student must complete at least 216 hours in order to graduate from the program.
- Student must complete 8 hours of volunteer service.
- Students have to complete all the monthly trainings
- Student must create a Learning Action Plan.
- Each semester students have to have touchpoint meeting (one on one) with the manager, Taruna Shadhoo