SUMMER CLASSES OFFER QUEENS COLLEGE STUDENTS THE UNIQUE OPPORTUNITY TO ADVANCE THE PACE ALONG THEIR DEGREE TRACK
Summer PELL (Year-Round Pell Grant)
Summer Pell, known as the Year-Round Pell Grant provides up to 150 percent of your maximum Pell award for the academic year. If eligible, the additional Pell funds will enable you to enroll in Summer courses at reduced tuition or tuition-free so that you can earn your degree faster without accruing or increasing debt. Here’s a few benefits of the Year-Round Pell Grant:
- Earn more credits to graduate on time
- Take required prerequisites to declare a specific major
- Meet the 30 valid credit requirement to maintain NYS Excelsior Scholarship eligibility
Students may be eligible for a Summer Pell Grant if there is remaining Pell eligibility. Eligible students will automatically be considered fo the Pell grant award which will be posted to the student’s CUNYfirst account during the Summer term. For more information on Summer Pell, please visit the CUNY website.
SUMMER PELL ELIGIBILITY
The additional funds provided by the Year-Round Pell Grant do not require repayment. To be eligible for the Year-Round Pell Grant funds, you must:
- Have completed a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). Students may receive a Summer Pell award from either the 2022-2023 or 2023-2024 Academic Year
- Be Pell Grant eligible
- Register for at least six (6) credits of appropriate Summer classes (please see a financial aid representative for eligibility)
- Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements
- Have Lifetime Pell Grant (LEU) eligibility remaining
If you meet certain requirements, the New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) can help cover the costs of your summer classes. TAP for Summer is based on the upcoming academic year TAP application. (i.e. Summer 2023 will be based on the 2023-2024 TAP application). To be considered for Summer TAP, students must add the Queens College TAP code (1416) to the summer field on the application.
SUMMER TAP ELIGIBILITY
- Students must have been registered at Queens College for both the Fall and Spring semesters prior to the Summer session (Fall 2022 and Spring 2023)
- Students must have earned a minimum of 24 credits applicable to the degree during the prior two semesters and have been full-time in the Spring semester immediately prior to the Summer
- Students must formally declare their major with the Registrar’s Office/QC Hub before Summer classes begin if they will have 60 credits towards their degree
Note: Summer TAP recipients will be awarded 18 months after the award has been certified as eligible.
SUMMER TAP ELIGIBILITY FOR SEEK STUDENTS
A SEEK student is allowed 10 semesters of opportunity program eligibility. In addition, all special program students are allowed one immersion and two regular summer semesters. The maximum amount given to students for books and supplies shall be determined for the regular academic year and for summer session separately, based on available funding.
Direct loan eligibility for Summer is based on your new FAFSA application for the current fiscal year. After you file the FAFSA and TAP applications, and have cleared any problems and edits; you must fill out a direct loan request form via your CUNYfirst account. See our Direct Loans page about requirements for filling out the direct loan master promissory note on the web before submitting the loan request. You can submit a direct loan request for Summer starting in June.
SUMMER DIRECT LOANS ELIGIBILITY
- Students must be matriculated in a degree program
- Be registered for at least 6 credits in combined Summer I/ Summer II or Summer II only
- A 2.0 cumulative GPA is required for Undergraduates after 30 credits; a 3.0 is required for Graduate students
Federal Work-Study (FWS)
Students awarded FWS for the 2022-2023 Academic Year may use their awards during Summer 2022 if they accept placement off- campus in a community service job. Please email us at QCWorkStudy@qc.cuny.edu. You must bring a resume with you and be registered for 6 credits in Summer 2022 and/or Fall 2022. Students entering Queens College for the first time in Fall 2022 are not eligible for summer community service jobs through the FWS program.
- Complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and meet the eligibility criteria
- Answer “Yes” to the question, “Are you interested in Work-Study?” on the FAFSA application
- Qualify for federal financial aid and have remaining need demonstrated through the FAFSA
- Half-time enrollment (6 credits) is required in the semester(s) you wish to work
- Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)