Both New York State law and long-standing University policy mandate disclosure by faculty, as public employees, of certain information related to the performance of their duties and responsibilities as full-time members of the faculty. The Policy and requirements are described more fully in documents provided at the bottom of this page.
While full disclosure is required of all compensated and uncompensated activities beyond a faculty member’s regular full-time assignment, faculty need not report incidental uncompensated activities related to your membership in academic, political, religious, social, cultural, or charitable organizations, provided such activities do not require a significant commitment of time or otherwise constitute a conflict of interest with responsibilities at CUNY, or interfere with professional standing.
Faculty who plan to take on activities covered by this policy must first report the plan to their department Chair and have the plan approved by the College. Should the College learn that an individual is engaging in activities that fall under the Statement of Policy on Multiple Position without having obtained the College’s approval, appropriate action will be taken.
Departmental P&Bs and Chairs are required to conduct a thorough review of any outside activities, compensated or uncompensated, and the Chair must determine the amount of time the faculty member may expend on the activity, subject to review by the President. In no event may the amount of time spent on such outside employment, consultative work or other work exceed an average of one day per week (seven hours) or its equivalent during the academic year. Reference to this cap does not mean that authorization of this amount of time is required.
A Multiple Position Report form must be completed each fall and spring semester. The form requests information on outside employment, consultative work, overload for teaching and non-teaching assignments, or other work whether compensated or uncompensated. This required information includes grants not administered by the CUNY Research Foundation (RF) or the Queens College Foundation. Faculty must file an updated form if commitments change during the semester.
- Outside work cannot exceed 1 day (7 hours per week) or its equivalent during the academic year.
- Buyouts on grants administered by RF CUNY do not need to be reported, since RF has its own effort reporting processes.
- All full-time faculty must submit the fall and spring forms, even while on leave.
If you have any questions regarding the policy or need further clarification on any of its components, please call the Office of the General Counsel at (718) 997-5725.
- CUNY Statement of Policy on Multiple Positions
- At-a-glance guide (on contact hours)
- Memorandum of April 25, 2016 on limits imposed on faculty regarding multiple positions
- Memorandum of July 29, 2014 on implementation of the revised statement of policy
- Multiple Position Summer Assignments reporting form (Memo July 29, 2014 Attachment 2)
- Memorandum of August 6, 2015 on revised form
Summer Tax Levy Research
- Multiple Position Policy Summer Tax Levy Research Payments
- Summer Research Tax Levy Memo
- Summer Research Tax Levy Form
- Multiple Position Policy Calculator (revised July 14, 2014)
HEOs, CLTs, Research Associates, and Research Assistants
- Memorandum of May 4, 2011 on multiple position assignments
- Application for Multiple Position – Non-Teaching Instructional Staff HEO Series