Each student will be assigned site placements by the Dietetic Internship Director and be required to work in one or more facilities to successfully complete 1300 hours of experience. Students must work full-time in the assigned facility. Students complete requirements of the Dietetic Internship Seminar course and one additional graduate course each semester, fall and spring, of the DI year.
Credit for Prior Experience
The Queens College Dietetic Internship does not award credit for prior experience. Rotation work and projects will be planned to build on prior experience. Required graduate courses provide preparation for rotations.
Program Schedule (9.5 months; 38 weeks; 1300 practice hours)
Program Orientation - 1 week
Community (Programs and Counseling) - 15 weeks (544 practice hours)
Clinical (General Medicine, Critical Care and Extended Care) - 14 weeks (504 practice hours)
Food Service Management (Production, Service and Financial) - 7 weeks (252 practice hours)
Holiday Break - 1 week
The program emphasis area is Community Nutrition. Interns complete a comprehensive community needs assessment and intervention, case report researching chronic disease with counseling intervention and address principles of sustainability through activities of the FNES Campus Garden. Clinical case, ethics and innovations in practice reports, foodservice management projects and an outcomes research group project further strengthen the intern's portfolio of experiences.
Wednesday, January 8, 2019, 6-8 PM
Queens College, Remsen Hall, Room 300
Please attend our Open House to learn more about our Dietetic Internship Program, meet the program director, interns and past graduates. RSVP requested, to the Program Director email@example.com
- Application and interview
- Completion of Bachelor’s degree with minimum of a 3.0 GPA
- Verification of DPD completion from a program accredited by ACEND within 3 years
- Ability to be employed in the United States
- Matriculated status in the Family, Nutrition and Exercise Sciences (FNES) Graduate program
The deadline for filing the application is February 15.
A $35.00 fee is required. Make checks payable to the Department Fund and send to:
Queens College, CUNY
Family, Nutrition and Exercise Sciences Department
c/o Lucille Dimola
Remsen Hall 306
65-30 Kissena Boulevard
Queens, NY 11367-1597.
The Queens College DI participates in the electronic filing of Dietetic Internship applications (DICAS) to include:
- Accurate completion of application
- Personal Statement
- Three letters of recommendation – 2 from work supervisors and 1 from professor OR 1 from work supervisor and 2 from professors (do not submit 3 recommendations only from supervisors or only from professors)
- DPD Verification Statement of completion / intent to complete
- Official Transcripts from all colleges attended
Please see Application Checklist at the top right of this page
Queens College participates in Computer Matching for the class that begins in the fall only. The deadline to register for computer matching is February 15 to be eligible for acceptance into the Queens College DI. Apply online at http://dnddigital.com or contact D&D Digital Systems at 515.292.0490.
The DI spans the fall and spring academic semesters. Each semester all interns are required to take one graduate didactic course (fall: Medical Nutrition Therapy; spring: Advanced Counseling, Community Nutrition or other, 3 credits each) along with enrollment in the DI (6 credits), for a total of 9 graduate credits per semester. Six graduate credits of the DI in addition to the 6 didactic course credits earned (12 credits altogether) may be applied toward the MS degree in Nutrition & Exercise Sciences (NES) Nutrition Specialization.
The Program accepts 12 interns annually.
Tuition for the internship year for NY state resident is $8190 + $198.35 student fee.
Tuition information can be found on the Queens College Bursars Office website:
http://www.qc.cuny.edu/admissions/bursar/Pages/QCTuitionCosts.aspx. The internship represents 6 credits plus one 3-credit graduate course each semester for a total of 18 graduate credits.
If you need financial aid, please contact the Queens College Office of Financial Aid at 718.997.5100 http://www.qc.cuny.edu/admissions/fa/Pages/default.aspx
Additional internship expenses include:
- DICAS: DICAS fee is $40 for one internship program and $20 for each additional program.
- D&D Digital: National computer matching fee is $50
- Dietetic Internship Fee: $35. The fee would be made out to Department Fund and sent as indicated above under Application Information.
- $455/credit- New York State residents
- $830/credit- Non-residents
- $198.35 consolidated fee, includes activity fee, consolidated fees and technology fees per semester
- Medical Insurance: Students must carry their own medical insurance and proof of coverage must be shown to the Internship Director before going to first facility.
- Medical exam within 3 months before the start of the internship; interns must submit verification of completion indicating medical clearance to practice.
- Proof of a TB test, recent tetanus vaccination, titers/MMR/varicella, Hepatitis B series, drug testing and vaccination or waiver for meningitis and others, as may be required by practice sites.
- Books: A reading list is available upon request and the cost incorporated into the anticipated additional expenses noted above (~ $500 for books).
- Professional conference up to $150
- RD Exam Review Course and Manual $350
- Transportation: All students are required to have their own transportation to and from sites.
- Housing: A dormitory is available on campus. There are several types of spaces available and can be viewed at www.qc.cuny.edu/thesummit. Off-campus housing is also available.
- Lab coat and/or uniform in some assigned facilities, comfortable, closed, slip-resistant shoes.
- Background checks where required by assigned facilities (may include additional drug test and/or fingerprinting, and may be at the student’s expense).
- Cell phone, laptop computer, printer-scanner combination.
- Financial aid is available. Go to www.qc.cuny.edu/admissions/fa.
Attend our Open House to meet the program director, current interns and past graduates.
Tuesday, January 8, 2018, 6-8 PM
Queens College, Remsen Hall, Room 300
RSVP requested, to the Program Director
Click on Directions to Queens College at the top right of the page. Enter at the front gate to receive directions to Remsen Hall and parking.
Looking forward to meeting you!
Please contact the program director for more information:
Allison Charny, MS RDN CDE CDN
Director of Queens College Dietetic Internship
Queens College – CUNY
65-30 Kissena Boulevard
Queens, New York 11367