Navigate Up
Sign In

Login to ...

QC Home Page QC Home Page
A-Z Index
Home > Academics > Divisions > Education
Dean of Education
EPP Departments
Assessment & Accreditation


 UTR Frequently Asked Questions

​How do I apply to the Queens College Urban Teacher Residency?
  • Create an account through QC’s ApplyYourself Portal and complete all required elements.
  • Enter your personal data and program information (scroll all the way down to choose either TESOL or Special Education in the “Urban Teacher Residency” section) and click “submit application” when completed.
  • After you submit, click “recommendations” and share contact information for three recommendation providers who will be contacted electronically to submit a professional recommendation for you (alternatively, your professional recommendations can mail their letter in a sealed envelope to the Office of Graduate Admissions – see more information on the “recommendations” page).
  • Click “application instructions” and review the “applicants for matriculation” section. Review and complete the necessary steps under “Your Application – Part 1” and “Your Application – Part 2” (tabs on the top of the screen), and then click the right arrow to scroll all the way to the “Urban Teacher Residency”   tab at the very end to review the requirements for the essay.
  • Submit a complete application (section “Your Application – part 2”) directly to the Office of Graduate Admissions for processing.


Am I eligible?  What are the admission requirements?
Candidates must meet subject area requirements listed below.
  • TESOL Admissions Requirements:
  1. Applicants whose first language is not English and who do not hold an undergraduate or graduate degree from an accredited American institution of higher education must submit Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) exam scores
  2. Up to 6 credits of the following prerequisite coursework can be completed during the program. Candidates are responsible for tuition for any required prerequisites.
  3. American History: American History I and II. (It is also possible to take CLEP Exams to fulfill this requirement.)
  4. Language Other Than English: A minimum of 12 credits or the equivalent of study of a language other than English (LOTE). Students may be granted the equivalence of 3-12 LOTE credits of this requirement (without the awarding of actual college credits) by exam (such as CLEP exams, NYU Foreign Language Proficiency Test, European Union Official Exams).
  • Special Education Admissions Requirements:
  1. Essay that clearly communicates their reasons for pursuing a degree in special education and the nature of their current and past experiences with people with disabilities.
  2. Academic Prerequisites Applicants for the MAT in the Queens College Adolescent Special Education Generalist Program must demonstrate that they have successfully met the following undergraduate prerequisites requirements:
  3. 2 courses each in English Language Arts, Social Sciences, Mathematics, and Science with a B or better.
  4. Applicants missing Liberal Arts & Science credits can be considered for conditional acceptance and will have until the end of their first year to make up those credits.
  5. Submission of GRE scores
  6. Applicants whose first language is not English and who do not hold an undergraduate or graduate degree from a nationally accredited college (i.e., in the United States) must submit proof of having achieved a score of 600 or higher on the paper-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), or equivalent.
  7. Candidates should have some prior experience with secondary school-age children (e.g., paid employment in a school or afterschool program, academic tutoring, volunteer/community based experience, summer camp counselor, and/or involvement in leisure, recreational, or other activities).

How much is the residency-year stipend? When do the health benefits begin?
  • Residents earn a salary as a teacher apprentice at the DOE while working in their host schools during the residency year, starting in September 2020. 
  • Residents also receive health insurance benefits through the NYC DOE, which also begin at the start of the school year. Given that the program starts full-time in June 2020, we encourage residents to plan financially for the summer.

How much does it cost to join the residency?
  • Residents are responsible for their Queens College tuition and costs related to attaining certification and a position at the NYC DOE. Learn more here about Queens College tuition. However, there is no additional cost for being a resident and receiving the mentoring, coaching, hiring, certification, and induction support provided by the program.
  • Queens College tuition for the full 24-month Masters degree will be around $17,000 (exact amount differs depending on content area and is subject to changes in CUNY tuition rates). We highly encourage all residents to complete the FAFSA and apply for student aid, if needed, and also to utilize TEACH grants, which may defray some tuition costs.

Who should I contact if I have more questions?
  • Please reach out to with questions and your intended program of study (TESOL or SPED).

Division of Education
Queens College, CUNY
Powdermaker Hall, Room 100
65-30 Kissena Blvd.
Flushing, NY 11367
(718) 997-5220

 Important Links

Stay Social at QC YouTube Facebook Twitter Gray Bar Calendar MyQC QC Mobile CUNY first Blackboard QC Bookstore QC Campus Store Gray Bar QC Wows!

Click each division to view a complete list of its departments

Adult Collegiate Education | English Language Institute | Professional & Continuing Studies
Summer Session | Weekend College | Winter Session

Resources for Combating Sexual Harassment/Sexual Assault (Title IX)

Queens College is CUNY
DirectionsMap/Directions  |  Emergency Preparedness  |  Working at QC  |  Student Consumer Info  |  A-Z Index  | 
Queens College, CUNY | 65-30 Kissena Blvd. | Queens, NY 11367-1597 | Phone: (718) 997-5000 Copyright © 2004-