Navigate Up
Sign In

Login to ...

A-Z Index
Home > Admissions > Financial Aid
Financial Aid

Federal Direct Subsidized Loan

Direct Subsidized Loan Q&A

Click a question to jump to the answer.


    If you haven't already done so, file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

    If you are a first-time Direct Loan borrower, you must complete Entrance Counseling and an Electronic Master Promissory Note at

    Complete a Direct Loan Request by clicking on the "Direct Loan Processing Form" link on your CUNYfirst Student Center page.

    Federal Direct Parent (PLUS) Loan. If you are a dependent student and your parents wish to request a Federal Direct PLUS Loan, please contact our Loan Coordinator, Ms. Socorro Gago at

    Yes, there is a loan fee on all Direct Subsidized Loans and Direct Unsubsidized Loans. The loan fee is a percentage of the loan amount and is proportionately deducted from each loan disbursement. You can check for the current loan fee or contact the Office of Financial Aid Services.

    When you receive your Direct Loan, you will be contacted by your loan servicer (you repay your loan to the loan servicer). Your loan servicer will provide regular updates on the status of your Direct Loan, and any additional Direct Loans that you receive.

    After you graduate, leave school, or drop below half-time enrollment, you will have a six-month grace period before you are required to begin repayment. During this period, you'll receive repayment information from your loan servicer, and you'll be notified of your first payment due date. Payments are usually due monthly.

    There are several repayment options available that are designed to meet the individual needs of borrowers. Your loan servicer can help you understand which repayment options are available to you. Generally, you'll have 10 to 25 years to repay your loan, depending on the repayment plan that you choose.

    If you are unable to make your scheduled loan payments, contact your loan servicer immediately. Your loan servicer can help you understand your options for keeping your loan in good standing. For example, you may wish to change your repayment plan to lower your monthly payment or request a deferment or forbearance that allows you to temporarily stop or lower the payments on your loan.

    Yes. Before your loan money is disbursed, you may cancel all or part of your loan at any time by notifying the Office of Financial Aid Services. After your loan is disbursed, you may cancel all or part of the loan within certain time frames. Your promissory note and additional information you receive will explain the procedures and time frames for canceling your loan.

    Under certain conditions, you may be eligible to have all or part of your loan discharged or forgiven (canceled). Find out about loan cancellation, discharge, or forgiveness here.

    Visit My Federal Student Aid to view information about all of the federal student loans and other financial aid you have received and to find contact information for the loan servicer for your loans.

    To default means you failed to make your payments on your student loan as scheduled according to the terms of your promissory note, the binding legal document you signed at the time you took out your loan.

    Your loan becomes delinquent the first day after you miss a payment. The delinquency will continue until all payments are made to bring your loan current. Loan servicers report all delinquencies of at least 90 days to the three major credit bureaus. A negative credit rating may make it difficult for you to borrow money to buy a car or a house (you will be charged much higher interest rates). You also may have trouble

    signing up for utilities,
    getting home owner's insurance,
    getting a cellphone plan, or
    getting approval to rent an apartment (credit checks usually are required for renters).

    It is important to begin repaying as soon as you receive a bill. Keep track of your student loan and learn how to manage your loan repayments.

    If you are having trouble making payments on a loan from the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program or the Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program, immediately contact your loan servicer, the agency that handles the billing and other services for your loan. If you are having trouble making payments on your Federal Perkins Loan, immediately contact the school where you received your loan. Whether your loans are delinquent now or not, you should read the tips to help you avoid default.

    If you repay your loan

    monthly, default occurs when you fail to make a payment for 270 days.
    less than once a month, default occurs when you fail to make a payment for 330 days (this applies only to FFEL Program loans).

    If you have defaulted on any of your federal student loans, take the following steps:

    Contact the agency that is billing you.

    Explain your situation fully.

    Ask them what options are available to get out of default.

    Ask them to work with you.

    Always stay in touch with your lender, loan servicer, or collection agency.

    The consequences of default can be severe:

    The entire unpaid balance of your loan and any interest is immediately due and payable.

    You lose eligibility for deferment, forbearance, and repayment plans.

    You lose eligibility for additional federal student aid.

    Your loan account is assigned to a collection agency.

    The loan will be reported as delinquent to credit bureaus, damaging your credit rating. This will affect your ability to buy a car or house or to get a credit card.

    Your federal and state taxes may be withheld through a tax offset. This means that the Internal Revenue Service can take your federal and state tax refund to collect any of your defaulted student loan debt.

    Your student loan debt will increase because of the late fees, additional interest, court costs, collection fees, attorney's fees, and any other costs associated with the collection process.

    Your employer (at the request of the federal government) can withhold money from your pay and send the money to the government. This process is called wage garnishment.

    The loan holder can take legal action against you, and you may not be able to purchase or sell assets such as real estate.

    Federal employees face the possibility of having 15% of their disposable pay offset by their employer toward repayment of their loan through Federal Salary Offset.

    It will take years to reestablish your credit and recover from default.

    If you believe your loan has been placed in default by mistake, you may be able to correct the error. Here's what you should do if one of the following is true.

    IF: You've been attending school on at least a half-time basis.

    THEN: Contact your school's registrar to get a record of all your dates of at least half-time attendance. Contact each school you have attended since you received your loan so your documentation is complete. Ask your loan servicer for the last date of attendance they have on file for you. If they have the incorrect date for your last date of attendance, provide your loan servicer with a copy of your documentation showing the correct date.

    IF: You have a deferment or forbearance.

    THEN: Ask your loan servicer to confirm the start and end dates of any deferments and forbearances that have been applied to your loan account. If the loan servicer has incorrect information, provide documentation with correct information.

    IF: You believe you've made payments that weren't credited to your account.

    THEN: Ask your loan servicer for a statement that shows all payments made on your student loan account. If payments you made are not listed, provide proof of payment to your loan servicer and request that the information in your account be corrected.


 Office Information


Location:  Flirst floor of Jefferson Hall, room 100
Phone: 718-997-5102
Fax: 718-997-5122 

The Office of Financial Aid Services uses email as our official method of communication.  In order to assure that you receive all communications related to your application, please make sure the e-mail address that you provided on your application is correct.  Please add Queens College to your address book to avoid e-mails from being sent to spam folders.​

Office Hours:

*Please note: starting the week of October 8th, appointment days will be from Mondays - Wednesdays and walk-ins on Thursdays.

*​Monday ​Appointments Only 9am-6pm
​Tuesd​ay ​Appointments Only
​Wednesday ​Appointments​ Only 9am-6pm
​*Thursday Walk-Ins ​9am-6pm
Friday ​Closed Closed

 The One Stop Service Center has relocated to the Registrar's Office, 100 Jefferson Hall.  Make sure to have your photo ID and your confirmation email at hand when you check in on the day of your appointment.


College Codes
FAFSA College Code - 002690
TAP College Code - 1416

Our Mission Statement

  • NEWS
  • Fall 2018 - Important Dates & Deadlines

    • ​The last day to apply for APTS (Aid for Part-time Studies) is Monday, October 1st, 2018.  You must have submitted your TAP application for 2018-2019 and filled out the supplement form on your Student Service Center in CUNYfirst.
    • The last day to add courses is September 2, 2018. Your registration as of September 2nd will be used to determine your maximum financial aid eligibility for the semester (grants, loans and work-study).​
    • The Excelsior Scholarship application for 2018-2019 was available from 9:00 am, March 26, 2018 til 11:59 pm, July 23, 2018.
  • Spring 2018 - Important Dates & Deadlines
    • The Excelsior Scholarship application for the Spring 2018 semester was December 4th, 2017​.  If you first received the award in the fall term of the current academic year, no additional action is needed for the spring term.  
    • The last day to add courses was February 2, 2018. Your registration as of February 2nd will be used to determine your maximum financial aid eligibility for the semester (grants, loans and work-study).
    • February 16, 2018, was the last day to declare a major for TAP/APTS eligibility for Spring 2018.
    • March 2, 2018, is the last day to apply for APTS.
    • May 4, 2018is the last day to apply for a direct loan.


 Applying for Financial Aid


 Useful Telephone Numbers


FAFSA Application Status 1-800-433-3243

FAFSA Technical Assistance 1-800-433-3243
NYS TAP Processing/Status 1-888-697-4372
Direct Loan Inquiries 1-800-848-0979
Selective Service 1-847-688-6888
Internal Revenue Service 1-800-829-1040
TuitionPay Payment Plan 1-800-635-0120



Stay Social at QC YouTube Facebook Twitter Gray Bar Calendar MyQC QC Mobile CUNY first Blackboard QC Bookstore

Click each division to view a complete list of its departments

Adult Collegiate Education | English Language Institute | Professional & Continuing Studies
Summer Session | Weekend College | Winter Session

Resources for Combating Sexual Harassment/Sexual Assault (Title IX)

Queens College is CUNY
DirectionsMap/Directions  |  Emergency Preparedness  |  Working at QC  |  Student Consumer Info  |  A-Z Index  | 
Queens College, CUNY | 65-30 Kissena Blvd. | Queens, NY 11367-1597 | Phone: (718) 997-5000 Copyright © 2004-