Navigate Up
Sign In

Login to ...

A-Z Index
Home > Registrar > General Permit Information > Non-CUNY Permit Information
General Permit Information

Non-CUNY Permit Information

 Obtain Permission To Take Courses At A Non-CUNY Institution

Queens College students who wish to take courses at another institution, outside of the City University of New York, must obtain permission in order to receive credit toward the Queens College degree. The following will answer some questions about "permits" and tell you how to obtain one.

1. When can I file a Non-CUNY permit?
It is necessary to submit the permit application to the Registrar's Office during the registration period for that semester or session. Queens College will not issue retroactive or late permits.

2. Who is eligible to take courses at a Non-CUNY institution?
An Undergraduate Student must be matriculated, have a GPA of at least 2.00, be in at least their second semester of matriculation (summer is a session and not a semester), have successfully completed at least six credits at Queens College, and be attending Queens College currently or have been on permit the preceding semester. SEEK and Honors College students must also obtain approval from their counselor.

A Graduate Students must be matriculated in a graduate degree or certificate program, have obtained the approval of the department's Graduate Advisor for the permit, and have registered for and completed with a passing grade at least one undergraduate prerequisite course or one graduate course as part of the graduate program at Queens College. Graduate students in the first semester of attendance can request to go on permit if they are register in at least one graduate or undergraduate course at Queens College.

3. How do I apply for a Non-CUNY permit?
Complete the application on the back of the form, following all steps and instructions. When complete return the application to the Registrar in Jefferson Hall for approval.

4. What grade do I need to receive in order to get credit for my Non-CUNY permit course?
Undergraduate Students must obtain a C- or better, and Graduates Students must obtain a B- or better. Only letter grades will be accepted.

5. What do I do after I complete the course?
In order to have your permit credits posted (grades earned from a Non-CUNY school will not appear on your Queens College record) have an official transcript sent to:

Queens College
Office of the Registrar - Permit Division
Jefferson Hall- First Floor
65-30 Kissena Blvd.
Flushing, New York 11367-1597

6. What other information is important for me to know?
Credit Limit
A student's schedule, including courses taken both at Queens College and on permit, may not exceed the maximum credit load for each semester or session.

Course Restriction

Courses fulfilling the Primary Competencies (with the exception of foreign languages) and all "W" (writingintensive) courses may not be taken on permit. Some academic departments may have additional restrictions.

Courses Taken at Non-Accredited Schools
Any courses taken at a Non-Accredited School must be evaluated to equal a Queens College course; no departmental elective credit will be accepted. Also, only maximum of 18 credits can be transferred (transfer and permit credits collectively) from a Non-Accredited School.
Click her for CUNYfirst

 Office Information

Office: Jefferson Hall, 1st floor
The best way to reach us is via Live Chat or email using the Contact Us link

Effective Monday, April 9th, the One Stop Service Center will be relocating to the first floor of Jefferson Hall, room 100. 

One Stop Office Hours:

















Stay Social at QC YouTube Facebook Twitter Gray Bar Calendar MyQC QC Mobile CUNY first Blackboard QC Bookstore

Click each division to view a complete list of its departments

Adult Collegiate Education | English Language Institute | Professional & Continuing Studies
Summer Session | Weekend College | Winter Session

Resources for Combating Sexual Harassment/Sexual Assault (Title IX)

Queens College is CUNY
DirectionsMap/Directions  |  Emergency Preparedness  |  Working at QC  |  Student Consumer Info  |  A-Z Index  | 
Queens College, CUNY | 65-30 Kissena Blvd. | Queens, NY 11367-1597 | Phone: (718) 997-5000 Copyright © 2004-