Fingerprinting for Student Teaching
Starting in the Fall of 2023, all candidates must start the fingerprinting process with the New York City Department of Education (NYC DOE) as soon as they are accepted into any of the Teacher Preparation Programs. Candidates must have received NYC DOE fingerprinting clearance before they register for student teaching, internship, or practicum.
The process of obtaining NYCDOE fingerprinting clearance could take up to two months and it involves a cost that is the financial responsibility of candidates.
Students enrolled in online programs need to check with their programs about fingerprinting requirements. Candidates who are cleared for fingerprinting by New York State will be asked to get re-fingerprinted by the NYC DOE at their own expense. Candidates are encouraged to consult the table below that explains the difference between NYC and NYS types of fingerprinting clearance.
We recognize that some students might have already been fingerprinted by the NYC DOE or New York State Education Department prior to attending Queens College. Even if you have been fingerprinted before attending Queens College, we ask that students submit the Fingerprinting Form, the first step listed under Fingerprinting Procedures below, and we will get back to you with the steps that apply to your specific situation.
If you have already completed the fingerprinting process with the Field Placement Office at Queens College in a previous semester, please contact the Field Placement Coordinator for your program (found under “Fingerprinting Assistance”) to request proof of your clearance.
Candidates, including undocumented students, are encouraged to start the fingerprinting process by following these steps:
1. Submit the Fingerprinting Form below. This form allows the Office of Field Placement to assist candidates with the fingerprinting process.
2. After the Fingerprinting Form is submitted, candidates are advised to wait to be contacted by the Field Placement Office and follow their instructions on how to proceed with the fingerprinting process.
3. Once you have followed their instructions, you will receive a nomination email from PETS (Personnel Eligibility Tracking System) (click here to see a sample). That is your proof that you have started the fingerprinting process with the NYC DOE. Take a screenshot of that email to upload it to your account in Anthology (If you have already received NYC DOE clearance, please upload a copy of your clearance).
4. Your proof that you have started the fingerprinting process (or a copy of your fingerprinting clearance) must be uplaoded to your Anthology portfolio account by October 1st for students admitted in the fall semester, and March 1st for students admitted in the spring semester.
5. Please follow this Anthology tutorial on where and how to upload your proof that you have started the fingerprinting process (or a copy of your fingerprinting clearance) to your Anthology portfolio account.
For questions on fingerprinting policies or procedures, please click here to access the Fingerprinting FAQs. If you cannot find the answer to your question there, please check the Fingerprinting Assistance contact info provided on this page and reach out to the Field Placement Coordinator listed for our program/major.
Candidates must upload to their Anthology portfolio accounts a proof of starting the NYC DOE fingerprinting process by October 1st for students admitted in the fall semester; and March 1st for students admitted in the spring semester.
Candidates must have received NYC DOE fingerprinting clearance by May 1st for professional practice starting in the fall semester; and December 1st for professional practice starting in the spring semester.
Candidates who have NOT received fingerprinting by the above-stated deadlines will NOT be able to register for student teaching, internship, or practicum.
Powdermaker Hall 135B
ECP, FNES, GSLIS, Music, TESOL Programs/Majors
Powdermaker Hall 135A
Powdermaker Hall 135B
All emails need to be sent from your Qmail email address.
For in-person inquiries, please check the Field Placement Office schedule.