College Recommendation Information
Graduation or completion of an education program is not enough to become certified by the New York State Department of Education. You will need to be recommended for certification by the Queens College Teacher Certification Office, and enter an application for certification on the NYSED TEACH Online System.
How to request College Recommendation:
Students with an Anthology Portfolio account must submit a College Recommendation Request and proof of completion of the required workshops via your Anthology portfolio.
Please log-in to your Anthology Portfolio account and look for the Teacher Certification folder in your Portfolio. Read and follow the instructions to fill out the college recommendation request, upload proof of workshop completion, fill out the completer survey, and submit the request. After you click the “Submit” button, type “Teacher Certification” in the assessor field.
For assistance submitting the request contact QC Anthology Support: email@example.com
Current Students and Alumni who do NOT have an Anthology Account:
Please submit the following College Recommendation Request Microsoft Form. If the required workshops are not posted on your TEACH Account you will be required to email proof of completion to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submitting Workshops for College Recommendation
Workshops required for College Recommendation:
- Child Abuse workshop
- School Violence workshop
- DASA (Dignity for All Students Act) workshop
- Autism Workshop (*Required for Special Education majors in a Post Master’s program)
If the workshops are posted on your TEACH Account, you can submit a screenshot of the page showing the completed workshops (your name must be included in the screenshot).
If you are submitting the workshop completion forms please make sure all of the “Trainee” information is filled out.
College Recommendation Timeline
During your final semester:
- Apply for Graduation on CUNYfirst.
- Have all required Workshops completed.
- Submit a College Recommendation Request
- Spring Graduates: March 15th – May 20th
- Summer Graduates: July 1st – August 15th
- Fall Graduates: November 15th – December 20th
Degree Audit & Conferral
Degree conferral does NOT take place immediately upon completion of your program. After grades have been posted and the college’s grading process is complete, the Graduation Audit Unit will conduct the final degree audit and post the degree conferral on students’ transcripts. Only students who have met all requirements for graduation will be conferred. Your conferral date is the official graduation date on your transcript and diploma.
Conferral Date: January 1
Conferral Date: February 1
Conferral Date: Date of Commencement (Approximately June 1)
Conferral Date: September 1
Degree Audit Process
The official audit is conducted by the QC Hub, Graduation Audit Unit, and supersedes all other indications that the student has completed all the degree requirements. The degree audit is the final step before degree conferral.
- Step 1: File for graduation via your CUNYfirst account. Please be aware of the application deadline.
Once complete your graduation status will be listed as “Applied for Graduation.”
- Step 2: Your student record will be reviewed for completion of the college’s general education requirements, pending the completion of the current semester’s coursework.
Once complete your graduation status will change to “Program in Review.”
- Step 3: Your student record will then be reviewed for major/minor specific requirements.
Once complete your graduation status will change to “Needs to Finish Pending Work.”
- Step 4: After grades have been posted to your account and the college’s grading process is complete, a final review of your application will be completed, and the graduation notation will be posted. Once complete your graduation status will change to “Degree Awarded.”
Check your unofficial student transcript through Self Service > Academic Records to see your degree conferred.
This process cannot be expedited.
Confirm your Social Security Number/ITIN on CUNYFirst
The Social Security Number (or ITIN) used to create your NYSED TEACH Account is required to enter the College Recommendation. To prevent any delays in processing your College Recommendation, please confirm the correct number is on your CUNYFirst Account. For assistance updating your SSN/ITIN on CUNYFirst contact the QC Hub at QCHUB@qc.cuny.edu.
- Submit the College Recommendation Request during your final semester when you will be graduating/completing your program. See timeline for submission dates.
- The certification exams do not need to be completed in order to receive College Recommendation.
- The Teacher Certification Office cannot recommend you for certification until AFTER your Degree or Advanced Certificate conferral has been awarded on your transcript.
Apply for Graduation
All students must apply for graduation on CUNYFirst (this includes students completing Advanced Certificate programs).
Graduation Application Deadlines:
- Fall Graduation – November 1st
- Winter Graduation – Contact QC Hub
- Spring Graduation – March 1st
- Summer Graduation – July 1st
Apply for Certification
- Enter an application for certification on your TEACH Account.
- Applications are valid for three years or two manual evaluations, whichever comes first.
- Applications for Professional and Permanent Certification must be manually evaluated and will take longer to process.
- Check the status of your application.