On Campus Employment for F-1

On Campus Employment


To work on campus, you can request the On-campus Verification Letter from the International Students & Scholars Office. On-campus work includes work at any City University of New York (CUNY) institution and affiliate. Before you start working, make sure you request the On-campus Verification Letter.

To be eligible to work On- campus, you must:

    1. Your work for any City University of New York (CUNY) institution and affiliate
    2. You must hold a valid F-1 Visa/Immigration Status. 
    3. You must be enrolled at Queens College full-time.
    4. You must be in good academic standing and not be working illegally.  

 How many hours can I work on campus?

      • For F-1 International Students, on-campus work authorization is valid for part-time employment (20 hours or less per week) during fall and spring semesters and full-time employment (40 hours a week) during school holidays and summer recess.
      • On-campus employment authorization must be renewed each semester.

 First-time students without a Social Security Number: 

    1. Complete the Social Security request form in the ISS virtual office HERE
    2. Have a copy of the employer letter ready to upload to the form
    3. Read our Social Security Number (SSN) page for instructions on applying for a Social Security Number. 

After you complete the steps above, our office will send you an email with your Employment Verification for your employer and a date for you to pick up the social security letter and your I-20. 

 On-Campus Verification for Returning Students:

 If you have a social security number and only need an On-Campus Verification Letter from the International Students and Scholars office, you can do the following:

    • Send an email request at iss@qc.cuny.edu
    • Include your Full name, CUNY ID, SEVIS Number, and DOB

After two business days, you will receive an email with your On-Campus Verification Letter.


Do I need a Social Security Number? How can I apply for one?

Yes, you will need to request a Social Security Number.

To apply for a Social Security Number, follow the instructions on the Social Security information page.