The end of the semester is nearly upon us. Here are a few tasks that you may want to take care of in the next few days.
Resolve incomplete (INC) grades
Please consult Academic Policies & Procedures
Process Scantron sheets
Submit your grades
Make your Blackboard course unavailable
We suggest waiting until the second week of January to do this because students may want to login to view their grades after the end of the semester.
- On the Home Page of your course, mouse over the open padlock icon on the upper right.
- Click on it to lock it. This will make the course unavailable to students.
If you don’t have a home page, click on any content area (such as Assignments or Course Information) in the course menu, rather than tools or web links.
For more detailed instructions about setting course availability, go to Make a Course Available to Students
Export or archive your Blackboard course
- If you are teaching the same course in the Spring, and want to avoid uploading the same content, export a Blackboard course package then import it into a blank course shell for the next semester.
- If you want to preserve the course structure and the student performance records, make an archive copy of your fall course.
- Keep in mind that all courses will be taught in Blackboard during Winter and Spring 2024. Starting in Summer/Fall 2024, all courses will be taught in Brightspace.
Queens College will transition from the Blackboard LMS to Brightspace in 2024. The Queens College ITS team will coordinate with CETLL to provide support via workshops; training resources; virtual office hours; and individual appointments.
For more details about the transition, visit the Queens College Brightspace Transition Timeline.
Please direct questions to the Queens College Brightspace Transition Team at Brightspace@qc.cuny.edu
Reserve course materials for Winter/Spring 2024
The Reserves and Course Content department of Rosenthal Library is now accepting requests for new materials to be hosted for the Winter/Spring 2024 semester. To ensure that new material has the best chance of being available for the first day of the semester we have the following request deadlines:
- Winter Semester: December 20, 2023
- Spring Semester: January 19, 2024
Requests received after these deadlines will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis.
Renewals and New Requests
- To renew reserves materials from a previous course, you can submit a Reserves Renewal Request.
- To request new or additional items, please submit an E-Reserves Request for each item.For the Reserves
Information and Policies for Faculty site, visit Reserves Information for Faculty.
For questions about Reserves, contact the reserve desk at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ways to communicate with your students
As the fall semester comes to a close, we would like to remind faculty and staff of the ways in which to communicate with students via email and text. Faculty and advisors may email or text students in their classes or caseload by utilizing the QC Navigate platform. Visit https://www.qc.cuny.edu/eab/eab-messaging-students/ for self-service instructions on how to message students.
For mass communication from staff members to QC students, visit https://www.qc.cuny.edu/es/ to submit a request. Emails are sent on behalf of individuals, departments, and strawman accounts to all students or specific student populations.
Finally, reflect on the semester
As the end of the semester approaches, take some time to reflect on your teaching experience. How did you and your students cope with the challenges and opportunities? How might you change your teaching practices next semester? You can do this individually or join an informal Zoom session hosted by CETLL, where you can discuss your experiences with other faculty members. We’ll send you the details in early December, so watch this space and check your email.